A student may be considered for permission to attend a school outside of the assigned attendance zone under one of these conditions:
- Child Care: student care provided by a caregiver whose address is in a school zone different from the student’s zone school (Policy JC) based on space availability. Child Care is not applicable for middle or high school students.
- Child of full-time WJCC Employee: resident or non-resident employee (Policy JC)
- Renewal Request: students approved under previous policy guidelines may continue to request out-of-zone for current school only.
The following procedure will be used to determine student eligibility for an out-of-zone school placement:
- Renewal requests with a current out-of-zone approval attending the same school next year will have a renewal window of March 1-March 31. Applications for new requests will be accepted beginning April 1 for the upcoming school year.
- Students presently approved for out-of-zone placement will be reviewed prior to any new requests.
- Approval of new requests will be granted based on space available and appropriateness of the placement request.
- Other than students attending the school where their parent works, children of employees cannot be in the parent work space while parent is fulfilling contract work requirements.
- The current principal must provide Good Standing information. This includes any application for a student not currently enrolled in WJCC.
- Receiving principal will review any request and forward the application to the Student Services Department for review and final determination.
- The Student Services Department will make the final determination and notify the parents and the sending/receiving principal(s).
- Students currently approved for an out-of-zone placement and approved as a student in good standing will be reviewed upon receipt of the application for continued attendance at the requested school. An application must be submitted annually for eligibility to continue.
- WJCC transportation cannot be utilized between schools to provide access in support of an out-of-zone request.
- For applications received before July 15, a letter of final determination will be mailed to the home address the week of August 1.
- Applications submitted after July 15 will not be processed until after the first ten days of school to determine available space. The student will need to attend his/her zone school until the application is approved. Out-of-zone requests will not be considered after September 30.
- The student must be enrolled in WJCC Public Schools before the application can be processed (except in the case of a non-resident employee).
- The school principal must be notified of any change in address or guardianship of the students.
- WJCC reserves the right to revoke student eligibility at any time.