Healthy eating is a vital part of wellness and readiness to learn. Students who are well-nourished are more alert and better able to focus on learning. SHIP provides nutrition information and resources, supports the school meal program and community partners in providing access to healthy food, and reinforces healthy lifestyles in the schools, home and community.
- SHIP teaches nutrition in the classroom to kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade students as part of the SHIP Wellness Integration Program. Lessons are based on MyPlate and provide students with essential information needed to make healthy choices.
- SHIP provides resources to support parents such as recipes developed for our Farm to School Program and used in our cafeterias, school celebration resources, healthy fundraising ideas, and nutrition information for families.
- Child Nutrition Services (CNS) Partnership provides nutrition education for students and staff and works to continuously improve food and beverage offerings in school cafeterias so students and staff will have healthier choices. The partnership includes:
- Nutrition education provided by our Registered Dietitian
- Training and recipe development provided by our Registered Dietitian
- Farm to School Program with local farms and suppliers bringing locally grown produce to our cafeterias on a regular basis and Farm to School tasting events to encourage students to try new vegetables.
- Nutrition outreach through community events, family cooking classes, and school-based family events.