WJCC Middle & High School Families,
On March 14, 2018, students across the country are planning to walk out of school at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes to honor each of the victims of the Parkland, Florida, school shooting. In WJCC, middle and high school students have told us that they plan to participate in the National School Walkout.
While WJCC does not sanction or endorse the walkout, we recognize our students’ rights to peacefully assemble and freely express their opinions on ways to improve school safety. Groups of students have thoughtfully and respectfully shared their plans with school administrators, and we will continue to work with them to ensure that the walkout is purposeful and orderly.
Students who participate in the walkout will be able to make-up work missed during the event; however, students who leave their school campus or who otherwise disrupt the school day will be subject to disciplinary action as detailed in our Code of Conduct.
We are working closely with our school staff and School Resource Officers to identify procedures that keep our students safe and that limit disruption for students who do not wish to participate. To ensure that the walkout is comprised only of students, we will limit community access to our middle and high schools, and, for the duration of the walkout, no students will be released for appointments or other reasons. We thank you for your cooperation and ask that you please plan ahead if your middle or high school student needs to be released early on March 14.
Virginia’s new Profile of a Graduate identifies Community Engagement and Civic Responsibility as areas for us to develop the life-ready individual, and this event provides us with an opportunity for a ‘teachable moment’ for all of our students.
Please take time to discuss the national walkout with your student, and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions.
February 26 – March 2
- Monday, February 22 – A Day
- Tuesday, February 23 – B Day
- Wednesday, February 24 – A Day
- Thursday, March 1 – B Day
- Friday, March 2 – A Day – Interim Reports
- Monday, March 5 – B Day
- Tuesday, March 6 – A Day
- Wednesday, March 7 – B Day
- Thursday, March 8 – A Day
- Friday, March 9 – B Day
March 12 – 16 Scholastic Book Fair
- Monday, March 12 – A Day
- Tuesday, March 13 – B Day – MS Parent Conferences
- Wednesday, March 14 – A Day
- Thursday, March 15 – B Day
- Friday, March 16 – A Day – Early Release
March 19 – 23 8th Grade Writing SOL
- Monday, March 19 – B Day
- Tuesday, March 20 – A Day
- Wednesday, March 21 – B Day
- Thursday, March 22 – A Day
- Friday, March 23 – B Day
March 26 – 30
- Monday, March 26 – A Day
- Tuesday, March 27 – B Day
- Wednesday, March 28 – A Day
- Thursday, March 29 – B Day
- Friday, March 30 – B Day – End of 3rd Marking Period