The school counseling department at Berkeley Middle School empowers all students to achieve their greatest potential, prepared for high school graduation, college success, and career opportunities. The school counseling team delivers a comprehensive, data-driven program that promotes academic achievement, career exploration, and social/emotional growth. We collaborate with students, parents, staff, and community stakeholders to advocate for equity, access, and success for every learner.
In order to meet the needs of our students and families, we offer the following counseling services:
- Individual counseling: we meet one on with students to address academic, career, and emotional concerns.
- Small group counseling: we meet with 4-8 students for eight weeks to address various topics, including academic achievement, empowerment, stress management, and other topics.
- Classroom instruction: we provide 60 minute lessons each semester to discuss academic success, career exploration, and managing emotions.
- Appraisal and advisement: we guide students in developing and managing specific short-term and long-term goals informed by student inventories, interests, and strengths. We also help students prepare for major transitions.
- Consultation and collaboration: we partner with teachers, administration, and staff to advocate for equity, access, and student success.
- Referrals for community services: we connect families to outside agencies to help students maximize personal and academic achievement.