Berkeley Middle School will make measurable progress in Reading for Students within Gap Group 1 (combined SWD, ED, and ELP) in the 2016-17 school year by increasing the Reading Standards of Learning Scores from 60% to 66%, which is a 10% increase.
- Teachers will engage students in a variety of strategies to include, Sustained Silent reading with a focus on teacher modeling, literature circles, book clubs, whole school novel reading, small group instruction and direct instruction.
- All teachers will use the writing process in their curriculum to increase writing across the content every day with a focus on mechanics.
Berkeley Middle School will make measurable progress in Mathematics for Students within Gap Group 1 (combined SWD, ED, and ELP) in the 2016-17 school year by increasing the Mathematics Standards of Learning score from 69% to 72%, which is a 5% increase.
- Teachers will use meta-cognition skills to assist students with think alouds when solving math problems.
- Teachers will monitor Tier 3 students within their SMART Goal assessments to show progress with student math skills by identifying small groups for direct instruction and remediation during Advisory.
Berkeley Middle School will create a learning environment which promotes college and career readiness, safety and service. Creation of an academic community as measured by documentation of community service, intervention methods, and recognition of teachers and students to decrease the number of short term out of school suspensions by students in GAP 1 from 42 students to 34 (20% decrease).
- Staff recognition will be presented to teachers on a monthly basis at faculty meetings. Students will be recognized weekly based on teacher recommendation through a “Brag Box” and “Caught Being Good”.
- Administration will meet with African American Males on a rotation basis per quarter to develop a success plan for academics and discipline. College and Career Readiness classes are offered to enhance prior knowledge of 21st century skills.