Part of doing our best and being successful every day relies on looking and feeling our best.
We want our learning environment at Berkeley Middle School to be as distraction-free as possible. Clothing and dress can be a form if individual expression; however, it should always convey a sense of personal pride and confidence that is conducive to learning. In order to ensure that our learning environment is safe, orderly, and free of distractions, the
WJCC School Division and Berkeley Middle School offers the following guidelines and expectations for School Dress.
School administrators reserve the right to make decisions concerning questionable and inappropriate school attire. If contacted by school administration, parents may be required to come to the school to provide an acceptable change of clothing. Students unable to correct their dress may be placed in an alternative classroom setting (ACS) for the remainder of the day. Repeat violations of the dress code can and will result in more severe consequences, per the Student Code of Conduct.
All undergarments must remain properly under the appropriate cover or clothing. Torn, ripped, or slashed clothing may not be worn. Clothing or clothing accessories which are form-fitting, suggestive, provocative, disruptive, defamatory, distracting, or revealing are not permitted.
The following dress code will be in effect:
- Clothing and hair should be kept clean and neat.
- Clothing/accessories bearing obscene, offensive, profane, suggestive or abusive statements or images will not be permitted.
- Clothing must not advertise/advocate/promote activities illegal to minors.
- Shoes must be worn at all times. Flip Flops are allowed.
- Pants must be worn at the natural waistline. Sagging is not permitted.
- Shorts/skirts/dresses/skirts shorter than knee-length are not acceptable even when leggings are worn underneath. All articles of clothing worn from the waist must be knee length or below the knee.
- Tank tops, spaghetti straps, strapless tops, mesh weave, fishnet, sheer and see-through clothing, crop tops, one shouldered shirts and the like are prohibited.
- Bandanas will not be worn in any fashion whatsoever.
- Hats or any headwear and sunglasses must be removed before entering the building. Hats may be worn at dances.
- Skin-tight clothing such as biking shorts or spandex apparel such as leggings, jeggings and tights are prohibited when worn as pants.
- Very loose or baggy clothing may be prohibited if it presents a safety hazard or distraction learning (i.e. tripping).
- Clothing that exposes midriff, bare shoulders, or cleavage is prohibited.
- Coats are not to be worn inside the building during the school day. They should be put into the lockers upon arrival at school. Sweaters, sweatshirts and light jackets can be worn during the day.
- Backpacks must be placed inside lockers during the school day.
- Any clothing, make-up, hairstyle, or manner of appearance that disrupts the educational process will not be allowed.
- Sleepwear/pajamas/slippers are not allowed.