Middle School dances are a privilege that all students must earn! Dances are reserved for middle school students only. The Guest Policy permits a student to invite one Williamsburg area middle-school aged guest to attend the dance as his or her guest. The written permission of the student’s parent/guardian is required by 8:00 am the day of the dance and must be approved by administration. Guest slips may be picked up in the main office. Since dances are a privilege, a student loses his or her privilege of attending the next dance if he or she earns a conduct referral in the time between two dances, has an unserved After School Detention, or has an overdue library book. Students who are absent on the day of a dance or any other celebration or extracurricular activity may not attend the event. The administration reserves the right to deny admittance to the dance for any student or guest. All dances begin at 6:30 pm and end promptly at 9:00 pm. If students are not picked up on time, they may be denied the privilege of attending the next dance. Please make all possible efforts to pick up your child by 9:00 pm. Parents are encouraged to chaperone dances.
CONDUCT AT SCHOOL DANCES
Berkeley Middle School Students are expected to obey all school and dance rules and to conduct themselves as ladies and gentlemen at all times. The dance rules are as follows:
- Students are not to arrive before 6:30 p.m.
- Students are to walk â not run â during the dance.
- The school’s dress code is to be followed at the dance. (You may wear caps or hats)
- Students are to remain in the gym or in the gym hall during the dance.
- No food or drink will be allowed in the gym. All trash must be placed in the proper receptacles.
- Bathrooms are to be used for their intended purposes. Students are not to spend the evening in them.
- Students are to treat all teacher and parent chaperones courteously and follow the instructions they are given.
- Students are to stay in the building until they are ready to leave the dance. They may not leave and re-enter the building.
- If a BMS student brings an approved guest to the dance, that student is to see that the guest knows and obeys all BMS school and dance rules. The student must complete a request form (available in the office) and obtain approval by noon on the day of the dance. Normally, any guests must be Williamsburg area middle school students. Any exceptions must be approved by administration.
- The dance ends at 9:00 p.m. Any student not picked up on time may not be allowed to attend the next dance.
Rules for Dancing:
- Students are expected to dance upright. Students are not to dance down on the floor.
- Students are not to crowd together. When standing or dancing as a group, students must leave enough space in between them to allow for a person to walk through easily and for an adult to see into the center of the circle.
- Students are not permitted to continually jump up and down while dancing.
- Students are to dance face-to-face or side-to-side. Students are not to dance front to back.
- During slow dances, there is to be visible space between dancers.
Students who are in violation of these rules will receive one warning from a chaperone, teacher, or administrator. Students who continue to misbehave will be taken to a teacher or an administrator and may be instructed to sit for a short time, asked to call a parent/guardian to pick them up, or told they are not allowed to attend the next dance. Some inappropriate behaviors may result in a referral to administration.