Employment of business and financial operations occupations is projected to grow 5 percent from 2019 to 2029, faster than the average for all occupations, adding about 476,200 new jobs. Globalization, a growing economy, and a complex regulatory environment are expected to lead to strong demand for accountants and auditors. In addition, increasing usage of data and market research in order to understand customers and product demand, and to evaluate marketing strategies, will lead to growing demand for market research analysts. Occupations in media and communication are projected to grow 4 percent. The need to create, edit, translate, and disseminate information through a variety of different platforms is driving this demand. The median annual wage for business and financial occupations was $69,820 in May 2019, higher than the median annual wage for all occupations of $39,810.
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Occupational Outlook Handbook
Career Experience & Exposure Opportunities
- Chick-fil-A Leader Academy
- James City County Youth Advisory Council & Teens Towards Success program
- Business Explorers
- DECA (Distributed Education Clubs of America) – for students interested in marketing, finance, hospitality, management, and entrepreneurship
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America)
- Student Council Association
- Internships, Cooperative Education & Job Shadows
Organization/club opportunities vary by school. See your Counselor for more information.