Job prospects in federal government are expected to vary by occupation. Over the next decade, a significant number of workers are expected to retire, which will create a large number of job openings. While there will be growth in many occupations over the coming decade, demand will be especially strong for specialized workers in areas related to public health, information security, scientific research, law enforcement, and financial services.
The Government & Public Administration cluster, which employed nearly 394,015 Virginians in 2018, is expected to employ about 6,404 more workers across the commonwealth by 2028, for a total of about 400,419.
Source: Virginia Employment Commission, virginiaworks.com/industry-projections
Career Experience & Exposure Opportunities
- Key Club
- Men of Vision & Purpose Club
- Women of Vision & Purpose Club
- Minority Achievement Leader Club
- Student Council Association
- Chick-Fil-A Leader Academy
- Future Business Leaders of America Club
- Model U.N.
- James City County Youth Advisory Council & Teens Toward Success Program
- Internships & Job Shadows
See your Counselor for more information
Sample Jobs in the Government & Public Administration Field
To continue investigating the Government & Public Administration field, visit: