Guidelines for Student Dress:
Help your child dress for success and dress to be a student learner every day at DJM. It has been our experience that the way students dress for school has a direct impact upon their behavior as well as the behavior of their classmates. Students should wear clothing that is comfortable but modest. We believe that the type of clothing students wear to school should not distract from the learning environment or their responsibility for their learning each day.
Parents please help your students to comply with the following:
- Parents are responsible for keeping their children’s hair, body, and their clothing clean.
- Clothing must cover areas from one armpit across to the other armpit, down to approximately 3 to 4 inches in length on the upper thighs (see image below). Tops must have shoulder straps. Rips or tears in clothing should be lower than the 3 to 4 inches in length.
- See-through or mesh garments must not be worn without appropriate coverage underneath that meet the minimum requirements of the dress code.
- Students must wear their pants at waist level and should be provided with a belt if their pants are too large.
- Shoes are to be worn at all times. Shoes with wheels and high heels are not permitted.
- Proper athletic shoes are required for physical education classes.
- Clothing/accessories bearing obscene/offensive statements and/or pictures or statements that promotes or advertises the illicit use of drugs or alcohol will not be permitted.
- Clothing may not state, imply, or depict hate speech/imagery targeting groups based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation, or any other protected classification.
- Students are not permitted to wear hats, hoodies, and caps once they enter the school building unless permitted for religious, medical, or other reason by school administration.
- Sunglasses may not be worn inside the building.
- Clothing and accessories that endanger student or staff safety may not be worn.
- Students may not wear heavy coats in their classrooms. Heavy coats must be kept in their cubby.