Families may choose to have their child(ren) participate in a year-long virtual learning experience for the 2020-2021 school year.* These courses will be 100% online, taught by WJCC Schools teachers, and will include live instruction and independent assignments and activities appropriate for each grade level.Attendance, participation in lessons, and completion of assignments will be monitored and graded. Some select academic screenings and assessments may occur in-person at schools with strict social distancing practices.
Selecting Virtual Learning is a commitment to complete at least one semester online. Before choosing this option, students are encouraged to complete aself-assessmentto gauge readiness for virtual learning. To be successful in an online class, students typically need to be self-disciplined, organized, committed, proactive, critical thinkers, and computer literate.
Families must indicate their choice for their child(ren) to participate in year-long virtual learning by completing an online registration no later than July 24, 2020.
What this means for students:
- Elementary students will participate in online and offline activities daily that will require five hours of instructional experiences. Continuous screen time will not exceed educational guidelines based on the age of the student. Click here to see the schedule.
- Secondary students will take part in daily online learning that mirrors the block schedule used in WJCC Schools middle schools and high schools.
- Students will submit all assignments via Canvas or StudentVue as required by the teacher; printed materials will not be accepted.
- StudentVue will be the gradebook of record and will serve as the system of record documenting student progress.
- Special education services and Individualized Education Programs (IEP) and 504 Plans will be coordinated with families and may include remote instruction and/or teletherapies.
- Students who participate in year-long virtual learning can take part in extracurricular activities.
*There is no guarantee that 100% Virtual Learning will be available to WJCC Schools students after the conclusion of the 2020-2021 school year.