Thank you for allowing our School Counseling office to be the first to welcome you to Lois Hornsby Middle School, home of the Hawks! In order to make the process of enrolling your child as seamless as possible, please provide the documents below. The documents are needed for students that are new to Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools, as well as those that are transferring into Lois Hornsby Middle School from another WJCC School. Documents must be received before a schedule can be provided.

  • Proof of Residency- Two different documents must be presented upon enrollment. Student may not start until parent or guardian provides residency documentation. Primary documents include a utility bill (gas, water, or electric), lease/rental contract, evidence of purchase, real estate assessment, and personal property tax assessment. The name of the parent or guardian must appear on the document. Documentation must be dated within 30 days of the date of enrollment. (If the parent or guardian and the child reside with someone else or in temporary housing such as a shelter or hotel/motel please notify the registrar immediately.)
  • Immunization Record-€“ Must be provided upon enrollment and must be verified by the nurse before the student can begin school. Student may not start without it.
  • Certified Copy of the Birth Certificate-€“ If the birth certificate is not available, an affidavit that requests other forms of documentation must be completed. The affidavit is provided by Guidance.
    Social Security Number – A Social Security Card is requested. The social security number is not used as a unique numerical identifier for the student.
  • Report Card-€“ Please provide the final report card if enrolling for the next school year. If transferring during the school year the most recent report card or a current withdrawal form with grades from the school your child last attended is acceptable.
  • Applicable custody documentation- If your name does not appear on the child’s birth certificate, documentation that you are the custodial parent or guardian for the child will be required.
  • A copy of any additional educational services your child received such as an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), placement into a Gifted Learner program, 504 plan, or other additional education services program that will assist with course placement.

An Enrollment Packet will need to be completed. You may pick up the enrollment packet from School Counseling office during school hours. The entire enrollment process may take 45 minutes to an hour. It is recommended that the parent or guardian call the registrar, Ms. Marcia Epps, at 757-565-9438 to make an appointment for enrollment.

If there are unforeseen and confidential circumstances that surround your child’s enrollment into the division, please notify our registrar immediately.

Please call 757-565-9438 if you have any questions.