Part of doing our best and being successful every day relies on looking and feeling our best. We want out learning environment at Hornsby Middle School to be as distraction-free as possible. Clothing and dress can be a form of individual expression; however, it should always convey a sense of personal pride and confidence that is conducive to learning. In order to ensure that our learning environment is safe, orderly, and free of distractions, the WJCC School Division and Hornsby Middle School offers the following guidelines and expectations for school dress.
School administrators and faculty reserve the right to make decisions concerning questionable and inappropriate school attire. If contacted by school administration, parent/guardian may be summoned to school to provide acceptable clothing. If parent/guardian cannot be reached, the student will be provided with a change of clothes from the school. Students unable to correct their dress may receive disciplinary consequences.
The following dress code in effect:
- Clothing and hair should be kept clean and neat.
- Clothing/accessories bearing obscene, offensive, profane, negative, suggestive, or abusive statements or images will not be permitted.
- Clothing that is torn, ripped, frayed, slashed, or made to appear so are prohibited.
- Clothing must not advertise/advocate /promote activities illegal to minors.
- Pants must be worn at the natural waistline. Sagging is not permitted.
- Shorts/skorts/dresses/skirts must be no shorter than the length of a student’s finger-tips with the article of clothing worn at the waist, their arms fully extended and shoulders relaxed. This length must be consistent all the way around the article of clothing. For example, if shorts have a cut up on the side this must be finger-tip length.
- Any shirts must have a strap at least 2 inches wide. The width of a standard credit card or driver’s licenses.
- Muscle T’s, spaghetti straps, strapless tops, mesh weave, fishnet, sheer and see-through clothing, crop tops, and the like are prohibited.
- Bandanas may not be worn or adorned in any fashion.
- Hats or any headwear and sunglasses must be removed prior to entering the building.
- Skin-tight clothing such as biking shorts or spandex apparel such as leggings, jeggings, yoga pants are prohibited. They are permitted to be worn with a top that comes down to at least finger-tip length.
- Clothing that exposes midriff, bare shoulders, or cleavage is prohibited.
- Coats are not to be worn inside the building during the school day. They should be put into the lockers upon arrival at school. Sweaters, sweatshirts, and light jackets may be worn during the day.
- Sleepwear (pajamas/slippers) is not allowed.
- Students may not wear the hoods of hooded sweatshirts on their heads. Students may be asked to remove the sweatshirt if this occurs in the school building.
- Backpacks must be placed inside student’s lockers during the school day. Small bags may ONLY be carried to PE class.
- All undergarments must remain properly under the appropriate cover or clothing and, therefore, no straps from undergarments shall be visible.
- Any clothing, make-up, hairstyle, or manner of appearance that disrupts the educational process will not be allowed.