The mission of the J. Blaine Blayton Elementary School Counseling Program is to work in collaboration with staff, families, and the community to provide a comprehensive, developmentally appropriate, and proactive program with services that address equity and access by meeting the academic, career, personal, and social needs of all our students in order that they may achieve their fullest potential and become responsible, productive citizens.
If you have any questions about the school counseling program or have any concerns about your child, please feel free to contact Blayton’s professional school counselors.
- For Kindergarten, 2nd grade and 4th grade call Jessica Wilcox, at 565-9300 ext. 41233.
- For 1st grade, 3rd grade and 5th grade call Erin Harris, at 565-9300 ext. 41201.
Our work with children is guided by the Virginia Department of Education Standards for School Counselors.
- Academics – Developing the skills attitudes, and habits of effective learners.
- Career – Awareness of careers and the world of work
- Personal/Social – Respect themselves and others in their day-to-day interactions
School Counseling Services
Services provided throughout the year:
- individual counseling
- small group counseling
- classroom guidance
- parent consultation
- conflict resolution
- career counseling
- crisis counseling
- referral services
- transition activities
- collaboration with teachers
- community resources