Part of doing our best and being successful every day relies on looking and feeling our best.
We want our learning environment at James Blair Middle School to be as distraction-free as possible. Clothing and dress can be a form of individual expression; however, it should always convey a sense of personal pride and confidence that is conducive to learning. In order to ensure that our learning environment is safe, orderly, and free of distractions, the
WJCC School Division and James Blair Middle School offer the following guidelines and expectations for School Dress.
School administrators reserve the right to make decisions concerning questionable and inappropriate school attire. If contacted by school administration, parents may be required to come to the school to provide an acceptable change of clothing. Students unable to correct their dress may be placed in an alternative classroom setting (ACS) for the remainder of the day. Repeat violations of the dress code can and will result in more severe consequences, per the Student Code of Conduct.
All undergarments must remain properly under the appropriate cover or clothing. Torn, ripped, or slashed clothing may not be worn. Clothing or clothing accessories which are form-fitting, suggestive, provocative, disruptive, defamatory, distracting, or revealing are not permitted.
2018-2019 Dress Code Policy
The following dress code will be in effect for the 2018-2019 school year:
- Hygiene is important in school and should be attended to daily.
- Clothing/accessories bearing obscene, offensive, profane, negative, suggestive, or abusive statements or images will not be permitted.
- Clothing that is torn, ripped, frayed, slashed, or made to appear as such may not be worn. Ripped or torn pants are not allowed unless something is worn under them to cover holes above the knee.
- Clothing must not advertise/advocate/promote activities illegal to minors.
- Pants must be worn at the waistline, preferable with a belt. Sagging is not permitted. Students will be asked to tuck in their shirt or have pants cinched if sagging becomes a distraction.
- Shorts/skorts/dresses/skirts must have a 5” inseam and must rest at mid-thigh or lower with the article of clothing worn at the waist. This length must be consistent all the way around the article of clothing.
- Any shirts must have a strap at least 2 inches wide. The width of a standard credit card or driver’s licenses.
- Muscle T’s, spaghetti straps, strapless tops, mesh weave, fishnet, sheer and see-through clothing, crop tops, and the like are not allowed.
- Bandanas may not be worn or adorned in any fashion, including the pattern as part of any clothing.
- Hats or any headwear, including do-rags and sunglasses, must be removed prior to entering the building.
- Students may not wear the hoods of hooded sweatshirts on their heads. Students may be asked to remove the sweatshirt if this occurs in the school building.
- Coats are not to be worn inside the building during the school day. Coats must be put into the lockers upon arrival at school. Sweaters and light jackets may be worn during the day.
- Skin-tight clothing, such as yoga pants or tights made of spandex material, is not allowed.
- Clothing that shows midriff, buttocks, or excessive cleavage is prohibited.
- Sleepwear (pajamas/slippers) and blankets are not allowed.
- Backpacks must be placed inside the student’s locker during the school day. Small bags may ONLY be carried to PE class.
- All undergarments must remain properly under the appropriate cover or clothing and, therefore, no straps from undergarments shall be visible.
- Clothing or clothing accessories that are defamatory and/or distracting are not permitted.
- Any clothing, make-up, hairstyle, or manner of appearance that disrupts the educational process will not be allowed.