M-F: 8 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
James Blair Middle School fosters lifelong learning by providing access to information, knowledge, and ideas. The mission of the Library Media Center is to maintain a barrier free school library with a learning-focused environment that is a dynamic resource center for students and staff. The library program will provide instruction, support, and expansion of the school curriculum through access of information and inquiry focused research.
The librarian will support the students’ development and elevation of reading skills, digital learning, participatory learning, inquiry learning, technology literacies, and information literacy.
- WY Daily – Williamsburg/Yorktown daily is a regional online newspaper contains daily news and stories of local interest
- Virginia Gazette – Williamsburg/James City County’s online version of the news updated every Wednesday and Saturday.
- The Daily Press – Regional newspaper that covers the Hampton Roads area
- The Washington Post – News of national, state, and regional interest originating from Washington D. C.
- New York Times – National news from a distinguished news organization
- USA Today – National newspaper covering a wide array of topics in addition to the news
- The Wall Street Journal – Leading financial news and more
- Refdesk Newspapers – Refdesk Newspapers is a newspaper database that links to hundreds of newspapers in the United States and the world
National & World
WRL Databases – All WJCC students have access to more than 50 databases available online through the Williamsburg Regional Library (WRL). No library card is needed. When prompted to enter a library card barcode number at any of the databases, enter “wjcc” followed immediately by your school id number. Example: wjcc10000111. If you do not know your school ID, it is listed on your StudentVue under Student Info.
Remember when you use any image or music as part of your school work you should cite your source. The easiest way to do this is to name the artist and the website where you copied or downloaded the intellectual property.
- Free Music Archives -Free MP3 downloadable music scores from all genres. CLICK “GENRES” AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE TO LOCATE THE MUSIC YOU WANT QUICKLY
- Bensound -royalty-free instrumentals you may use as long as you credit bensound.com as the creator
- Soundation -Create your own music file to download
- Library of Congress Memory Project
- WikiMedia Commons -most are freely reusable as long as you give the creator credit in your work. The copyright info is located below each image
- The Artchive -recognizable artwork from the public domain and copyrighted artwork. Follow the instructions to use in an educational purpose.
- Life By Google – images from Life Magazine may be used for personal, non-commercial use only. Search millions of photographs from the LIFE photo archive from the 1750s to today. Remember to give credit to Life Magazine!
- NASA Images -large collection of images featuring stars, galaxies, planets, space equipment are fair use except for the NASA logo. Always cite your source as NASA
- Pics4Learning -offers copyright-friendly images to teachers and students in an educational setting
Copying words, images, audio and video CAN BE A VIOLATION OF COPYRIGHT LAW. Check the information below to to see if you are able to use another’s intellectual property as part of the FAIR USE DOCTRINE. Also, you can always check the U.S. Copyright office and/or read up on Fair Usage.