WJC School Board Policy (IKAA) permits final exam exemptions for students in 12th grade provided certain conditions are met: 1) the student maintains a “B” average through two marking periods and;
2) the student’s excused absences for the semester do not exceed five days and the student has no
suspensions, unexcused absences from school, or unexcused absences from any single class in which the student seeks an exam exemption. The following also are in effect when considering absences for final exam exemptions:
- Absences due to school-sponsored field trips, representation of the school in extracurricular
activities, or official school business as authorized by the principal will not be counted against
a student’s eligibility for exam exemption.
- The final course grade for students granted an exam exemption is the average of the two 9-
weeks’ grades for that course.
- All unexcused absences prior to January 4, 2019, either on a teacher’s class attendance
record or on the school’s attendance record, will remain unexcused.
- Students are required to submit valid, signed absence notes on the day they return to school
from an absence.
On Monday, January 7th, a list will be provided to teachers of seniors who do NOT qualify for exam
exemption based upon daily attendance at school. Teachers will also generate a list of their seniors who do NOT qualify for exam exemption based upon their individual class attendance and achievement criteria above.
- Students may appeal only to the principal for attendance consideration, not grades.
- Appeal forms will be available in the Principal’s Office on Friday, January 4th
- Students must complete the appeal form (Senior Exam Exemption Appeal Form) with
supporting documentation and submit it to the Principal’s Office no later than 2:30 PM on
Friday, January 11th
Students and teachers will be notified regarding the status of appeals on Friday, January 18th
Decisions on appeals are final.
NOTE: A student’s exam exemption may be withdrawn if there are changes to a student’s attendance,
discipline and/or achievement record.
Do not hesitate to stop by my office if you have any questions. I hope the remainder of your semester is successful.