Under the direction of the Principal, this position supervises the management of the school, instructional programs, teacher and student performance, promoting public relations within the community, and making sure that the learning environment is healthy and productive.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees student activities and services in cooperation with counseling, administration and staff, parent collaboration by articulating program needs, administering attendance, supervising students throughout the day, and coordinating all student-oriented activities and athletics including fund-raising events, assemblies, and dances.
- Collaborates with Student Services and School Counseling to provide special education services to students and staff, and initiates special programs as needed.
- Coordinates instruction, curriculum, and staff by evaluating staff, planning faculty meetings, and assisting with the scheduling process for staff and students.
- Assists with new teacher orientation, establishes teacher duty rosters, and helps plan staff development with central office staff.
- Fosters good relations with the community by working with local agencies, attending community functions, communicating with business partnerships, writing press releases, and contacting parents regularly.
- Works on instructional and curriculum development, and works with community resources in order to promote strategic plan and goals of this public school.
- Manages overall school functions by upholding and administering school and division policies, managing the building use, transportation, and handling emergency arrangements through evacuation and emergency drills.
- Manages the opening and closing of school, including coordinating graduation and summer school programs.
- Manages clerical services and prepares bulletins and communications as needed, updates and revises faculty and student handbook.
- Serves as Principal in principal's absence. Assists principal in the management of the school as designated by the principal.
- Serves on district-wide committees and helps with staff development, curriculum, and evaluation efforts.
- Pursues a planned course of professional growth and development. Remains current in innovative educational pedagogy and literature.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
BA and Master’s degree in school-related field, and knowledge of personnel administration, school finance, school curriculum, and substance abuse education. Virginia license in Administration and Supervision. Minimum three years teaching experience. Excellent communication skills and ability to deal effectively and calmly with a variety of people. Approachability, availability, and commitment which facilitates positive and open communication required.
Directly and indirectly supervises faculty, secretaries, custodians, cafeteria staff, aids, attendance officers, and security.
Performs duties under the supervision of the principal.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Frequent interruptions, frequent and abrupt deadlines; subject to supervise and address large audiences; supervision of outside activities. Subject to court appearances and community engagements. Must be able to make expedient decisions in times of crisis.