This position performs intermediate skilled work in the maintenance, repair, modification, installation and construction of wooden and related structures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install and maintain a variety wooden structures; maintain records
- Organize work, estimate time and materials, design project, prepare material, and perform carpentry work.
- Maintain, repair, or replace all locks.
- Maintain door closers and panic bars.
- Install cover base molding
- Perform skilled carpentry repairs and masonry work
- Build ramps, steps, decks, porches and handrails
- Operate all necessary woodworking equipment
- Construct small buildings and additions, as directed.
- Inspect and make repairs to playground equipment
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Considerable experience as an advanced apprentice carpenter.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the state of Virginia.
- Must have a good driving record based upon the criteria of the Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools division.
- Knowledge of the acceptable standards of the trade.
- Ability to work from plans and specifications and to follow rough drawings and oral instructions.
- Ability to operate standard woodworking equipment.
- Basic computer skills
In the absence of the Carpenter Foreman, may supervise the work of CTE students, summer workers, and other carpenters
Performs duties under the general supervision of the Coordinator for Facilities and the Carpenter Foreman who provides instructions and directions and inspects work in progress and upon completion.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor and lift up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to stand, stoop and bend for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in various types of environmental conditions.
- Ability to use hand and power tools