This position performs accounting and bookkeeping functions required for the timely payment of school division invoices.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes invoices for timely payment. Assigns vendor number to new accounts as appropriate. Ensures that discounts offered by vendors for prompt payment are utilized whenever possible.
- Reconciles invoices, statements, and receiving reports to purchase order for price, quantity, and conformance to specifications.
- Maintains accounts payable purchase order suspense file and outstanding purchase order file. Identifies encumbrances to be liquidated.
- Processes Capital Improvement Project payments and reconciles purchase orders.
- Processes contract and monthly payments and reconciles purchase orders.
- Audits PCard accounts and assures that users provide necessary backup. Enters and balances data.
- Reconciles vendor statements. Identifies unpaid invoices and coordinates payment with schools if necessary.
- Posts all AP batches and prints checks.
- Coordinates funds for weekly payments with County Treasurer.
- Matches checks and prepares for mailing. Audits Accounts Payable Specialist’s entries.
- Coordinates processing of accounts payable data for Operations Department. Prints related reports and prepares checks.
- Reconciles outstanding checks and identifies unclaimed property.
- Processes void and stop-payment letters and posts batches.
- Responsible for 1099 reporting.
- Works with independent auditors in the performance of annual and special financial audits.
- Maintains good school/community/vendor relations in personal contacts with school personnel, outside agencies, vendors, and the public.
- Operates a variety of office machines, such as data processing equipment, calculator, typewriter, FAX machine, scanner, etc. Recommends improvements to data processing systems as they relate to the accounts payable function.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED certificate, supplemented by some courses in basic accounting. Some experience in an accounts payable function.
- Knowledge of accounting, bookkeeping, office procedures, and terminology.
- Basic knowledge of computer terminal functions and operations.
- Ability to perform accounting and bookkeeping functions required for the timely payment of invoices.
- Ability to operate a variety of office machines such as, data processing equipment, calculator, CRT, and typewriter as required.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Busy office environment with constant deadlines and frequent interruptions. High volume of work requiring the establishment of priorities.