Under the leadership of the Strategic Communications Officer, this position is responsible for developing and maintaining initiatives to foster robust two-way communications with internal and external stakeholders. This position acts as a spokesperson for the division as well as an advisor in matters of communication and public relations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs the duties of the Strategic Communications Officer in his/her absence.
- Provides communications, employee relations and engagement counsel to the Superintendent and senior leadership team.
- Develops and implements communications plans to support division programs and initiatives.
- Plans, implements, and directs effective communication between school system leadership and internal/external stakeholders through a variety of strategies, including, but not limited to, forums, meetings, blogs, newsletters, email, video, social media, etc.
- Writes and disseminates media releases and advisories.
- Responds to media and public relations requests.
- Assists schools and offices with communication needs including, but not limited to, incident and crisis communication.
- Assists with the preparation of key messages, scripts and other materials for division events as requested.
- Organizes and assists with special projects and events.
- Develops and conducts periodic training in communications/public relations/personnel development.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field; master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in public education or the public sector preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Comprehensive knowledge of strategic communications, public relations, marketing, and branding.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with a variety of employees and constituents.
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Strategic Communications Officer.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Highly diverse and complex duties. Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work on several projects and assignments concurrently. Strong interpersonal skills required in working with diverse groups. Must have initiative and assume responsibility for working productively with minimal supervision. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time in a busy office environment; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.