This position develops and implements records management programs based on records management best practices as well as policies and procedures for student and administrative records set by School Board Policy, the Virginia Public Records Act, the Library of Virginia, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, and the Virginia Department of Education.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge of data processing and document management technologies, and principles of management and public relations.
- Assess management of WJCC departmental records on an on-going basis and enforce compliance with state requirements, policies, and procedures for administrative, educational, fiscal, personnel, and general services records.
- Manage inventory controls for division-wide technology assets insuring assets are properly tracked, accounted for and identifiable.
- Oversee enrollment documentation requirements related to school admission and residency.
- Coordinate with Student Information System team for the configuration, monitoring, and maintenance of electronic data to support records retention and disposition requirements.
- Collaborate with Student Information System database administrator to review initiatives from Virginia Department of Education concerning state reporting requirements for dissemination to impacted school-based personnel.
- Implement and maintain a program for the security, storage, retrieval, disposition, and distribution of official records of the school division in compliance with local, state, and federal requirements.
- Draft local policies and procedures for the implementation of a school records program.
- Implement electronic document management system to convert vital, archival, and permanent records to secure media. Seek ways to save space and personnel costs through document conversion, indexing, and retrieval innovations.
- Develop and implement a Disaster Preparedness Plan for documents and ensure the appropriate preparation for and protection of records in the event of a disaster.
- Design and implement teaching, administrative, and support staff training and awareness programs to enlighten employees on how to handle public records.
- Work with school and administrative staff to maintain records management program through proper implementation of retention schedules
- Respond to internal and external requests for records and maintain a system for documenting all written and oral inquiries relating to inactive records.
- Maintain inventory of centrally stored records and annually audit inventory of inactive records stored in school division buildings.
- Approve the accurate and timely destruction of records pursuant to Library of Virginia procedures.
- Introduce enhancements to records programs to address the changing needs of the school division.
- Develop an annual budget for Records Administration.
- Serve as Records Officer and liaison between the School Division and the Library of Virginia in all matters related to records management.
- Serve as FOIA Compliance Officer following requirements of the Freedom of Information Act.
- Work with school registrars to ensure timely and appropriate purging of student records to remove documents no longer educationally or administratively useful.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and direct the activities of assigned support staff and ensure proper training in records management principles and practices.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Bachelors is required.
- Familiarity with the Library of Virginia regulations concerning records maintenance preferred
- Certification in Records Management preferred, or relevant experience and/or training in electronic records management, micro-graphics, and/or data research that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Expertise with records retention, records management and document control issues, best practices, and technologies.
- Experience in file conversions and automated systems implementation preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Directs the activities of assigned support staff and coordinates the efforts of designated school staff toward effective records management.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Senior Director for Technology.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer, and to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 35 pounds.