This position performs custodial maintenance duties including dusting, mopping, finishing and buffing floors, vacuuming and shampooing carpets, cleaning and restocking restrooms. Assists the Head Custodian in maintaining the school plan in a clean and orderly condition so that full educational use of it may be made at all times.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Dusts and mops floors.
- Cleans lint, dust and dirt from lockers, table tops and other furniture.
- Cleans and washes whiteboards.
- Vacuums carpets.
- Cleans restrooms and restocks paper and soap supplies.
- Performs routine maintenance to custodial equipment and supplies.
- Empties trash receptacles and bags trash for proper disposal.
- May change light bulbs, ceiling tiles, etc. as directed.
- Locks doors after cleaning areas.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Assists in loading and unloading of supplies as needed. Arranges boxes, materials, and other supplies in a neat and orderly manner. Sets up tables and chairs for various functions and events as required.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Assists in maintenance of grounds and exterior of the building. Assists in snow removal and other emergency situations. Assists maintenance personnel in major repair work. Opens and secures building when necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
High school diploma, GED, or equivalent preferred. General trades knowledge helpful. Knowledge of custodial principals, practices, and safety principles. Knowledge of methods, materials, and equipment used in custodial work. Knowledge of safe work practices. Skill in the use of equipment used in custodial work. Ability to understand and follow safety procedures. Ability to understand and follow verbal instructions. Ability to list and manipulate heavy objects. Ability to operate vacuums and other related equipment. Ability to safely use cleaning equipment and supplies. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures. Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing. Ability to understand written and verbal communications. Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade. Ability to maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work activities. Ability to complete assigned tasks independently.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Head Custodian
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Using power equipment to buff and restore floors and shampoo carpets; dusting, mopping, vacuuming, emptying trash and cleaning restrooms; performing routine maintenance to custodial equipment; frequent interruptions, changing priorities, heavy duty lifting, and occasional work in inclement weather; exposure to cleaning agents, potential electrical hazards, and various types of cleaning equipment. Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises. Considerable physical activity. Requires heavy physical work; heavy listing, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 50 pounds. Physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of the job. Work environment involves some exposure to hazards or physical risks, which require following basic safety precautions.