This position repairs, maintains, and installs electrical systems and equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Locates and determine electrical malfunctions using test instruments, such as ammeter, volt meter, and ohm meter.
- Repairs malfunctions by such methods as replacing burnt-out elements and fuses, by-passing or replacing defective wiring, using hand tools.
- Tests electrical equipment, such as generators, for safety and efficiency, using standard test equipment.
- Installs fixtures, motors, and other electrical equipment and makes adjustments, using hand tools.
- Installs and maintains flashing road signs.
- Inspects circuits and wiring for specified shielding and grounding and repairs or rewires system according to building codes and safety regulations.
- Installs electrical circuitry.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Possession of a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
- Considerable experience as a journeyman electrician; possession of a Journeyman Electrician’s License.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State of Virginia.
- Must have a good driving record based upon the criteria of the Williamsburg-James City County School Division.
- Knowledge of national and local electrical codes.
- Knowledge of theory, application, diagnostics, and trouble shooting associated with electrical systems.
- Ability to read and understand service manuals, test equipment instructions and blueprints.
- Basic computer skills
Supervision may be exercised over the work of students, summer workers, and other personnel as assigned.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Coordinator for Facilities and the Trades Foreman. Responds to work order requests; consults applicable electrical codes.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Frequent interruptions, changing priorities.
- Ability to perform duties outside in inclement weather conditions.
- Must be able to work alone and independently.
- Requires ability to ascend tall structures and work on the top of roofs of buildings.
- Ability to work in cramped quarters.
- Ability to perform manual labor and lift up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to stand, stoop and bend for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in various types of environmental conditions.
- Ability to use hand and power tools.