This position supports the school division’s ESL program by helping to provide a solid curriculum, quality instructional delivery tools, supplemental professional development, adequate resources, program analysis, and meaningful coordination and collaboration with internal and external staff and agencies to ensure a quality program for English learners.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Works with ESL staff to implement a coherent curriculum aligned with state and national standards.
- Promotes use of consistent ESL instructional framework and research-based strategies.
- Helps support alignment with curriculum and instruction priorities.
- Provides school ESL teachers with current research-based best practices in the area of second language acquisition as well as corresponding literacy resources and materials.
- Works with the Coordinator for World Languages/ESL to improve and sustain a long-term professional growth framework that supports the implementation of services for English learners in the district.
- Provides supplemental professional development for school ESL teachers through training sessions, observations, modeling, and coaching.
- Attends state meetings, district level meetings, Strategic Planning Team meetings, and Curriculum & Instruction meetings as needed.
- Assists the Coordinator for World languages/ESL in developing and coaching new teachers.
- Analyzes school and district English learner student data with ESL teachers to supplement planning for PLC discussions and more informed instructional decisions.
- Collaborates with ESL Coordinator and other district and school leaders to enhance data driven targeted intervention support for English learners.
- Models instructional strategies with teachers and staff in classrooms.
- Makes regular classroom visits to support instructional improvement.
- Provides feedback to ESL teachers and staff regarding implementation issues. Serves as coach working with staff to improve their practice.
- Works with staff and schools to address learning needs of ESL students.
- Coordinates with other departments, offices, and organizations to best serve student needs.
- Provides customized professional development to meet unique ESL student needs and support differentiated instruction.
- Participates in regular professional development to improve knowledge and skills.
- Stays current with professional literature, latest research, and best practices.
- Schedules, plans, coordinates, and facilitates ACCESS for ELs 2.0 Testing with District Testing Coordinator and school-based administration.
- Works with the Coordinator for World Languages/ESL to extend and improve communication with parents and community in developing the district’s Title III Application.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Bachelor’s degree and VA Teaching License in English as a Second Language.
- Prior successful classroom experience.
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of K-12 World Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) English Language Proficiency Standard Course of Study.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with school-based teachers and administrators, parents/guardians, the community, and administrative staff.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Coordinator for World Languages /ESL.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Busy office environment with constant deadlines and frequent interruptions. High volume of work requiring establishment of priorities. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.