This position provides for the general maintenance of the grounds and athletic fields at assigned school plant.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains lawns, shrubs, trees and plants in good appearance. Mows lawns, using hand-mower or power mower. Trims and edges around walks, flower beds, and walls, using clippers and edging tools. Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth, using shears.
- Picks up rubbish and cleans up flowerbed and tree areas. Sprays lawn areas, shrubs, and trees with fertilizer or insecticide. Seeds and waters as required.
- Assists in upkeep of athletic fields. Cleans up field after usage.
- Assists in snow removal and salting or sanding of ice to ensure safe walking conditions on passage ways.
- Monitors and maintains all vehicles and equipment in excellent running condition.
- Operates and performs maintenance on a variety of grounds equipment, such as tractors, lawn mower, edger, weed eater, etc.
- May be responsible for debris clean-up/removal on facility grounds where custodial staff and parks staff are not responsible.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Some experience in grounds maintenance activities.
- Knowledge of the use of various types of grounds maintenance machinery, such as tractors, power mowers, hand power equipment, etc.
- Ability to maintain and perform minor repairs to grounds maintenance equipment.
- Ability to work independently.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by the State of Virginia.
- Must have a good driving record based upon the criteria of the Williamsburg-James City County School Division.
- Ability to perform heavy manual labor and lift up to 100 pounds.
- Ability to stand, stoop and bend for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in various types of environmental conditions
Performs duties under the general supervision of the designated building administrator. Refers to manuals covering ground maintenance and other functions; also refers to Division's Policy Manual.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals, such as weed killers, paint fumes, etc. Requires occasional heavy lifting; prolong riding of tractor can cause minor discomfort. Duties performed outside in extremely hot and extremely cold weather conditions, to include inclement weather.