This position is responsible for supervising and monitoring the work of custodians and performs custodial tasks to maintain the school plant in a clean and orderly condition so that full educational and recreational use of it may be made at all times. May train the custodial staff in cleaning procedures, use of equipment and oversee the implementations of safety regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises the activities of workers engaged in custodial tasks. Evaluates the performance of all custodians assigned to the building giving positive/corrective feedback to ensure the highest standards.
- Plans, organizes and assigns custodial duties as required.
- Checks the cleanliness of custodial equipment, building and surrounding areas. Inspects plant facilities such as heating and plumbing, for proper operations. Identifies and reports existing and potential maintenance and safety problems, in accordance with established procedures. Assists in building security and in maintaining a centralized key control system.
- Assists custodians with problems they encounter. Cleans, repairs, and maintains equipment. Maintains inventory and recommends purchase of suitable supplies, tools, and equipment.
- Assists in loading and unloading of supplies and furniture as needed. Ensures that accurate records reflect supplies ordered and received.
- Sets up tables and chairs for various functions and events as required. Assists in snow removal and other emergency situations.
- Arranges for the school plant to be opened and closed daily.
- Performs all tasks of a custodial nature to include emptying trash and garbage containers, cleaning sinks and toilets, replenishing paper supplies as needed, cleaning lint dust and dirt from table tops and other furniture, and maintaining floors where required.
- Plans, organizes and implements all projects and procedures to ensure a clean and orderly school plant.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Considerable experience as a custodian, preferably in a school plant environment.
- Ability to supervise the work of others. Prior supervisory skills preferred.
- Knowledge of the basic techniques of electrical repair and maintenance, carpentry, and general maintenance.
- Ability to interpret and follow oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, other school division personnel, and the general public.
Monitors and evaluates the activities of assigned custodial staff.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Coordinator for Custodial Services.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Frequent interruptions, changing priorities, heavy-duty lifting, occasional work in inclement weather. Exposure to cleaning agents, potential electrical hazards, and various types of cleaning equipment. Ability to stand, stoop and bend for long periods of time. Ability to work in various types of environmental conditions. Ability to perform heavy manual labor and lift up to 100 pounds.