This position is responsible for maintaining computers, printers, projectors, and other related technology equipment as assigned in the school and administrative buildings. The IT Specialist V may be required to coordinate with vendors, obtain prices for specialized equipment, and/or to trouble-shoot/order services. The IT Specialist V is a mid-level position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all traditional support of an experienced technology equipment technician for common fixes for hardware and software problems; setup of new computers, printers, and peripheral equipment, installs and configures common applications such as Microsoft Office and other division supported software. Primary function includes installing, repairing/upgrading, and configuring PC hardware, software, and peripherals. Supports network users experiencing desktop, network, and printing problems. Responds to trouble calls in a professional and courteous manner.
- Performs more advanced level troubleshooting and repair work, assists junior level technicians as needed.
- Responds promptly to all items assigned in the division ticketing/helpdesk system and provides timely updates for each ticket as assigned tickets have a change in status.
- Assures all items are appropriately tagged and updated in the division inventory system.
- Identifies and submits requests for parts to the Lead Technician, and dispatches, via the Helpdesk, to the next level of tech support all technical difficulties beyond means or capabilities.
- Maintains an attractive, orderly, and healthy learning/computing environment within computer labs, network/head-end room and assigned work space; organizes and maintains computer parts, manuals, etc.
- Applies successful industry practices in these four areas: operations, customer support, resource utilization and stewardship.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- High School Diploma required.
- Four (4) years’ experience in a mid-level position as a PC support technician in a Microsoft networking environment experienced in supporting various PC generations, and experienced in the use and support of all versions of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, Office Suite, and use of the Internet.
- CompTIA A+, Network+ and MCSA or MCDST certifications required. Additional level of experience may substitute for certification.
- Experienced in general networking of systems.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Certification in or proven work toward the MCSE or CCNA/CCNP certifications preferred.
- Performs highly diverse/intense technical and support duties requiring strong communication and inter-personal skills.
- Must be highly flexible and adaptable to change in a dynamic work setting ensuring high quality of service to customers requiring technical assistance.
Performs duties under the supervision of Lead Technician or Sr. Network Engineer as assigned.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must be comfortable in performing repetitive, sometimes mundane tasks as well as being able to quickly switch from on task to another as situations warrant. Must be comfortable working alone, as well as in front of groups of people. Must be able to maintain a highly professional demeanor in sometimes extremely stressful situations. Must be comfortable in instructing other employees in the use of complex/technical equipment and software applications. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. Must be able to safely climb and work from a step ladder (up to 8 feet) and reach over-head. Must be able to squat and work below desks/tables. Must be able to complete repetitive motions, use a keyboard and/or mouse, and perform repetitive tasks. Must have eye-site and hearing in accordance with DMV regulations to be able to maintain a valid driver’s license. Frequently exposed to electrical shock hazards while working on computers and related equipment. Requires constant and almost continuous use of voice and data communications.