The IT Specialist VI is responsible for maintaining division-owned computers as assigned. Job duties may be performed within school, administrative, or operations locations as needed. The ITS-VI may be required to coordinate with vendors, obtain prices for specialized equipment, and coordinate with telecommunications providers to trouble-shoot/order services. The IT Specialist VI is a senior-level position, should have a minimum of 4 years of experience maintaining computer-related equipment and reports to the Technical Services Supervisor or Sr. Network Engineer as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all traditional support of an onsite technician for common fixes for hardware and software problems; setup of new computers, printers, and other peripheral devices as well as division supported software. Primary function includes installing, repairing/upgrading, and configuring PC hardware, software, and peripherals. Supports network users experiencing desktop, network, and printing problems. Responds to trouble calls in a professional and courteous manner.
- Responds to escalations as assigned via the Helpdesk, serving as the next level of tech support. Coordinates with the supervisor and vendors for all technical difficulties beyond means or capabilities.
- Regularly reviews, updates, and provides supporting information to assigned tickets within the helpdesk system.
- Leads projects as assigned by the supervisor, coordinating daily tasking and assuring successful project completion.
- Maintains an attractive, orderly, and healthy learning/computing environment within assigned work space; organizes and maintains computer parts, manuals, etc.
- Receives assignments for work location and daily tasking from the Supervisor for Technology Services.
- Insures the division’s technology inventory is maintained and updated regularly.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- High school graduate required.
- Four (4) years’ experience as a senior-level technician in supporting various computer/peripheral generations, and experience in the use and support of all versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems, Microsoft office application suites, and use of the internet and cloud-based services.
- Experience with general networking of systems, and in using CAT-5 cables and supported network hub/switch devices. CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, and MCSA/MCSE, CCNA, or CCNP or higher level of certification required, proven additional level of experience may substitute. Proven work toward maintaining the MCSA/MCSE or CCNA/CCNP certifications preferred.
- Ability to apply extended troubleshooting guidelines to properly diagnose and repair computer and related equipment problems.
- Ability to install, configure, apply various computer software applications and operating systems.
- Ability to properly connect, configure, and manipulate related computer parts, equipment, and peripherals.
- Must be able to maintain a high-level professional relationship with other employees in various roles at all times.
- Must be able to apply exceptional professional customer service in what can be highly stressful situations while maintaining a professional composure.
- Must be able to properly explain to non-technical internal and external customers the proper use of computer hardware and software, and provide explanations of repair work in a non-technical manner.
- Valid driver’s license.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Technology Services Supervisor, or Sr. Network Engineer as assigned by the Sr. Director of Technology.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Extensive hand-eye coordination is required install various computer parts, ability to safely work in and around electronic equipment. Must be able to properly explain to non-technical internal and external customers the proper use of computer hardware and software in a non-technical manner. Must be able to apply exceptional professional customer service in what can be highly stressful situations while maintaining a professional composure. Must be able to complete repetitive motions, use a keyboard and/or mouse, and perform repetitive tasks. Ability to quickly switch from one task to another as situations warrant and work on several projects and assignments concurrently. Must be comfortable working alone, as well as in front of groups of people. Must have eye-site and hearing in accordance with DMV regulations to be able to maintain a valid driver’s license. Frequently exposed to electrical shock hazards while working on computers and related equipment. Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. Must be able to safely climb and work from a step ladder (up to 8 feet) and reach over-head. Must be able to squat and work below desks/tables.