This position is the technical specialist primarily responsible for the life-cycle administration and technical support for the WJCC Public School’s Server infrastructure (on-premise and cloud), Microsoft Domain Controllers, Office 365 infrastructure and Active Directory. Also, recommends methodologies for achieving high local area network performance, availability, reliability, and security. The incumbent works independently, as part of a team, or as a team leader, in a demanding technical environment. Duties will require after normal working hours services at times.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as the Microsoft Systems’ Administrator performing mission critical activities, including technical configuration, installation, integration, and live support for Microsoft on-premise/cloud, Office 365, and Active Directory services in an onsite and remote capacity on a 24x7 basis.
- Performs expert-level support for Microsoft Domain Controllers, Exchange Server(s), Web Servers, ISA Proxies, DHCP, DNS, SQL Servers, and multiple server platforms running various building and division-wide applications.
- Serves as an escalation point for network issues in the areas of networking, Microsoft servers, Email, and Internet related services.
- Specific tasks include, but not limited to, the following:
- User-oriented tasks: Client account maintenance and support; Group policies management; Security & Logon enforcement; and Technology Department technical staff service support, education, and communication
- System-oriented tasks: OS & network monitoring; performance tuning; script development; accounting, monitoring, and log review; security, critical updates, and password administration; WAN support; and general/ specific troubleshooting.
- System Architecture tasks: planning, deployment, and network integration; Domain Model and Active Directory design; site preparation; and technical user service support, education, and communication.
- Logs, tracks and provides change-management data to senior staff including NOS upgrades, configurations, service packs, and security updates.
- Designs/recommends optimum hardware/cloud/software networking equipment configurations.
- Participates in the design of extensions and additions to the network and incorporation of new technologies and standards
- Utilizes diagnostic systems and procedures to support fault detection, correlation, performance metrics, and reporting to support service level agreements and standards set by management.
- Provides hands-on and onsite technical training to selected technology staff, including server operations, backup and restore, error message analysis, and other functions at operations level.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- High school graduate required; Associate Degree in related area, and CCNA or CCDA certification or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Four (4) or more years’ experience providing high-level technical support, and LAN/WAN administration in a Microsoft on-premise/cloud mixed networking environment. Expert level knowledge of Microsoft Exchange, MS Server, and Windows operating systems. CompTIA A+, Network+ and MCSA/MCSE certifications preferred.
- Proven excellent communication skills, experienced in supporting various PC generations, and experienced in the use and support of all versions of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems, Office Suite, Outlook, IE, and use of the Internet.
- Ability to apply extended troubleshooting guidelines to properly diagnose and repair computer and related equipment problems
- College degree in Information Systems, Information Technology, or related area combined with related experience may substitute for certifications.
- Valid VA. Driver’s License.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Sr. Network Engineer, as assigned by the Senior Director for Information Technology.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must be highly flexible and adaptable to change in a dynamic work setting ensuring high quality of service to customers. Requires constant and almost continuous use of voice and data communications, including phone, pager, fax, and email. Must be able to lift loads up to 50lbs, and will be required to drive to various schools and sites on special occasions. Requires on-call services 24x7. Ability to use various hand tools (screwdriver, pliers, etc.) to disassemble and re-assemble computers, printers, and other related peripheral equipment. Extensive hand-eye coordination is required to make use of hand tools, install various computer and electronic parts, ability to safely work in and around electronic equipment.
Must be able to lift up to 50lbs. Must be able to safely climb and work from a step ladder (up to 8 feet) and reach over-head. Must be able to squat and work below desks/tables. Must be able to complete repetitive motions, use a keyboard and/or mouse, and perform repetitive tasks. Frequently exposed to electrical shock hazards while working on computers and related equipment.