This position performs highly skilled, master level mechanical and technical diagnostic work in the repair and maintenance of School Division vehicles and equipment. Diagnoses malfunctions in automotive equipment; removes and replaces worn or broken parts, and replaces fluids; enters maintenance data into computerized system. Provides customer assistance, maintains maintenance records, and assisting technicians in problem diagnostics.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Diagnoses problems, and major repairs to cars, light trucks, and buses; ensures dependability and safety of operation; repairs problems relating to fuel injection, gas and diesel engines, computerized engine controls, manual and automatic transmissions, clutches, cooling, suspension, steering, brakes (hydraulic and air), tracks, hydraulics, and attachments.
- Independently diagnoses and makes repairs to equipment in the field.
- Performs Virginia State Inspections.
- Performs preventive maintenance to cars, light trucks, and buses.
- Enters maintenance data information into computerized system.
- Attends training sessions, classes and meetings.
- Performs maintenance and repairs to shop equipment; performs general shop maintenance and cleans shop.
- Picks up and delivers vehicles for outside repair.
- Responds to after-hours calls.
- Performs tool inventories at random.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Graduation from high school supplemented by course work in automotive mechanics, 4-6 years of experience as an automotive mechanic; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Must have a good driving record based upon the criteria of the Williamsburg-James City County School Division.
- Possession of a valid Virginia Commercial Driver's License with necessary endorsements to operate a school bus carrying passengers and equipped with air brakes.
- Possess and maintain a Virginia State Inspection License.
- Thorough knowledge of state inspection rules.
- Certification for performing Air Conditioning services.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engine and chassis units
- Comprehensive knowledge of methods, practices, and processes of repairing and overhauling automobiles, trucks, light trucks, and buses.
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational hazards, and safety regulations of the automotive industry.
- Skill in using specialized, diagnostic test equipment.
- Knowledge of the safe operation of all shop equipment, such as lifts, jacks, power tools and machines.
Performs duties under the supervision of Shop Foreman
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Frequent interruptions, changing priorities and attention to detail. Duties performed outside normal work hours, such as evenings, nights and weekends. Duties performed in various types of environmental conditions. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to read and understand technical manuals and instructions. Ability to use computer hardware and software. Must be physically able, sufficient strength, agility and dexterity, to perform daily duties, including stooping, bending, working in tiring and uncomfortable positions, and the ability to lift 50 pounds. Must comply with the drug and alcohol testing requirements as outlined by DOT regulations.