Position provides technical nursing support to students under the supervision of the school nurse. Assists the school nurse in providing health care to all students and staff to include: health screening, assessing health needs, providing first aid/emergency care and health counseling. This itinerant position is assigned by the Supervisor of Health Services based on school clinic needs and will provide care to students and staff in the absence of a school nurse if indicated. Reassignment of sites during the school day or school year is possible.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides routine medical care and first aid to students, staff, and faculty.
- Administers medications and performs procedures and treatments with physician orders under the supervision of the registered school nurse.
- Observes students for illness or injury and consults with the registered nurse as needed.
- Complies with established procedures for sending ill/injured students home or to a medical treatment facility.
- Conducts routine screenings as required by Virginia regulation, including referrals and follow-up.
- Maintains accurate documentation, records, and confidentiality of information.
- Assists in the maintenance and updating of health records.
- Reports information and concerns to supervising registered school nurse.
- Conferences with supervising registered nurse regarding individual student health care plans.
- Implements student health care plans on all students receiving direct care and others as directed.
- Utilizes the nursing components of the SIS computer system.
- Adheres to laws, rules, and regulations governing LPN practice.
- Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
- Maintains a safe, clean, and organized work area.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the School Nurse or other appropriate administrator…
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must be a licensed practical nurse (LPN) licensed to practice in the State of Virginia and certified by the Virginia Board of Nursing.
- Display thorough knowledge of nursing procedures as defined by scope of practice.
- Experience in acute care setting, pediatrics and school health with well-developed assessment skills desirable.
- Must possess current CPR certification.
- Valid Virginia Drivers’ License required
Performs duties under the supervision of the Supervisor for Health Services.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Duties are performed in a school clinical and classroom environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; smell. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull, carry, and/or move patients and equipment weighing up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus for observing patient conditions and administering appropriate treatment. The job risks exposure to disease/pathogens; blood and bodily fluids; medications; and toxic or caustic chemicals. Requires standing, sitting, repetitious hand and body movements, simple grasping, pushing pulling, fine motor and gross motor skills, bending, lifting, squatting, kneeling, climbing, and reaching. Ability to lift students as required and has the stamina to stand all day, every day of the week as needed.