This position promotes enhanced mathematics instruction and student learning by offering direct instruction to students, and assisting teachers in developing more effective research-based mathematics teaching strategies. This position supports the professional growth of elementary and middle school mathematics teachers by strengthening their understanding of math content based on research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrates current, accurate, and comprehensive knowledge consistent with profession.
- Implements the program consistent with School Board policies, regulations, and procedures to include:
- Offering intervention services for students with the greatest need.
- Collaborating and coaching teachers using research-based instructional strategies.
- Advocating math practices that align with division expectations.
- Serving on the school literacy intervention team.
- Maintaining accountability.
- Provides direct services/instruction (a minimum of 50% of time) to students.
- Spends 50% of time working directly with math teachers and on curriculum tasks, assessments, professional development, and/or other related tasks to improve the division’s math program.
- Possesses strong teaching skills that focus on:
- Closing the achievement gap.
- Providing strategy-based instruction.
- Providing differentiated instruction.
- Working with diverse student population.
- Establishing rapport and mutual respect for students.
- Possesses strong leadership skills that focus on:
- Effective communication
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent organization
- Successful collaboration with colleagues
- Selects and uses technology, materials, and resources compatible with student needs and ensures that materials are interesting and challenging to readers.
- Conducts individual/group assessments as needed.
- Interprets and uses assessment data for decision making.
- Assists administrators and faculty members in interpreting data and designing approaches to improve student achievement and instruction.
- Maintains accurate and timely updates on required records and reports.
- Collaborates with individual teachers through co-planning, co-teaching, and coaching.
- Promotes teachers’ delivery and understanding of the school curriculum through collaborative long-range and short-range planning and teacher coaching.
- Facilitates teachers’ use of successful, research-based instructional strategies, including differentiated instruction for diverse learners.
- Collaborates with administrators to provide leadership and staff development for the Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools mathematics program in keeping with the district’s mission.
- Assists the division Coordinator of Mathematics to ensure the curriculum alignment with state standards, and assists in textbook adoption procedures.
- Serves as a consultant for Child Study as needed.
- Relates positively to peers, parents, and other community representatives and possesses effective communication.
- Consults with parents, shares professional literature, activities, suggestions, and assists in conducting informational sessions.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must possess a Master’s degree in Reading and be eligible for a Virginia Teaching License with an endorsement as a Reading Specialist.
- Must have completed at least 3 years of successful classroom teaching in which the teaching of reading was the primary responsibility.
- Possess effective instructional delivery techniques and excellent communication skills.
- Must possess knowledge of the needs of students requiring remedial reading instruction.
- Valid certification to meet state requirements with specific endorsement in elementary or middle school education, secondary mathematics, or K-8 mathematics specialist.
- Applicant must have three or more years of experience as a Mathematics Teacher or K-8 Teacher with sufficient time spent in the teaching of mathematics.
- Applicant who has had teaching experience must have an acceptable rating on such teaching.
- Supervises students in school; may supervise activities of teacher assistants.
- Coaches and collaborates with teachers.
Performs duties under the supervision of the school administrators; receives instruction and support from the division Coordinator of Mathematics.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Highly complex duties. Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues. Demanding schedule often includes meetings before and after school. Must demonstrate a good command of English, both oral and written.