This position performs a variety of functions in a school library media center assisting the Media Specialist in the operation of the media center, and assists teachers and students in the full use of library services.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Staffs circulation desk.
- Maintains electronic database in the library automation system.
- Assists students and teachers in the use of the library materials, including technology.
- Assists students with instructional tasks.
- Follows copyright guidelines for media usage.
- Assists in controlling status of books in circulation and generates overdue and other computerized reports.
- Shelves returned books; replaces incorrectly shelved books; repairs damaged materials.
- Assist with processing of new materials and inventory of all media center materials.
- Ensures proper use of shared resources (audio-visual equipment, laminator, die-cut machine, etc.).
- Maintains circulation and inventory of shared library resources (audio-visual equipment, laminator, die-cut machine, etc.). Ensures all equipment is in working order.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Some experience in an office setting, preferably in a library.
- Ability to learn standard library tasks readily and to adhere to prescribed routines.
- Ability to operate standard office machines; ability to operate data processing and audio-visual equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, teachers, administrators and volunteers.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Principal with oversight from the Media Specialist.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 50 pounds.