This position is responsible for providing all students with an enriched library environment containing a wide variety of materials that will invite intellectual growth and research and to aid all students in acquiring the skills needed to take full advantage of media center resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates and supervises the media center to which assigned.
- Assists teachers in the selection of books and other instructional materials, and makes media center materials available to supplement the instructional program.
- Informs teachers and other staff members concerning new materials the media center acquires.
- Maintains a comprehensive and efficient system for cataloging all media center materials and instructs teachers and students on the use of the system.
- Works with teachers in planning those assignments likely to lead to extended use of media center resources.
- Helps students to develop habits of independent reference work and to develop skill in the use of reference materials in relation to planned assignments.
- Helps teachers and students conduct research using the internet and other technological means.
- Arranges frequently changing displays and exhibits likely to interest the students.
- Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve learning, health and attitude problems.
- Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in education or a related field and meet the Virginia Department of Education licensure eligibility requirements for a Media Specialist.
- Must be eligible for, or in possession or an appropriate Virginia license.
- Must possess ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the public.
Oversees daily activities of media assistant.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Principal.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must exhibit manual dexterity to dial a telephone, to enter data into a computer; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so others may understand clearly in normal classrooms and on the telephone; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds. Duties are normally performed in a classroom or office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.