Position is responsible for the daily management of the Finance Division’s payroll department to include the direct supervision of two full-time Payroll Specialists. This position administers all facets of payroll management to include interpreting and implementing government regulations, ensuring accurate and timely payrolls, and directing the activities of a payroll staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers the division’s payroll function ensuring accurate and timely payrolls.
- Interprets and ensures consistent application of school division policies and procedures relating to payroll operations and recommends revisions as necessary.
- Formulates, interprets, and implements management policies and operating practices in compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations affecting payroll operations.
- Oversees the complete and accurate recording and computation of employee time, earnings, and leave records.
- Coordinates with Human Resources staff on the administration of employee pay statuses.
- Provides guidance to senior management, building administrators, senior administrative assistants and bookkeepers on payroll issues.
- Manages the reporting and depositing of employee taxes in compliance with various governmental regulations.
- Ensures the proper processing of wage garnishments, liens, child support orders, and bankruptcy orders.
- Supervises the processing of optional payroll deductions Schedules direct deposits for employees and resolves any associated complications.
- Directly supervises, trains, and evaluates all assigned staff in the day to day operation of the payroll department. Makes recommendations to the Finance Department leadership regarding recruitment, selection and retention of employees for subsequent recommendation to the School Board.
- Serves as the contact person for internal or external audits of payroll records, systems, and procedures.
- Prepares and compiles various reports and statistics pertaining to payroll matters.
- Participates in meetings and special projects related to payroll issues as assigned.
- Ensures the proper filing and storage of confidential employee payroll records.
- Coordinates with Treasurer’s office regarding cash requirements for each payroll.
- Maintains current knowledge of payroll regulations, including familiarity with the school division’s Policy Manual, federal and state statutes, etc.
- Coordinates and oversees all payroll activity with the Payroll Specialists and other involved staff.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Associate’s degree in accounting and/or business. CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) and Bachelor’s degree in accounting and/or business preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of successful experience in a payroll environment. Supervisory experience preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting terminology, standard office procedures, practices and equipment, including personal computers, word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to supervise and coordinate payroll staff with in appropriate deadlines.
- Ability to prepare and key time card/sheet entries into an automated financial software system and process a payroll.
- Ability to make accurate mathematical calculations and to analyze fiscal transactions.
- Ability to organize work and maintain accurate records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, school officials, auditors, vendors and the public.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and to work effectively in a stressful environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate good judgment, tact and courtesy in difficult situations and with communications to school division employees. Ability to operate standard office equipment.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word and Access.
Supervises the full-time Payroll Specialists.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to handle frequent deadlines, high volume of work, and the ability to prioritize. Must have the ability to use equipment; see and read printed material with or without vision aids; physical agility to lift and carry up to 25 pounds; to bend, to stoop, and to reach overhead.