This position assembles, installs, and repairs pipes, fittings, and fixtures of heating, water, and drainage systems, according to specifications and plumbing codes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Installs, repairs, and maintains water and plumbing systems.
- Assembles and installs valves, pipe fittings, and pipes composed of metals, such as iron, steel, brass, and lead, and non-metals such as glass, vitrified clay, and plastic, using hand tools and power tools.
- Joins pipes by use of screws, bolts, fittings, solder, plastic solvent, and caulks joints.
- Installs and repairs plumbing fixtures such as sinks, commodes, water heaters, garbage disposal units, dishwashers, and other water carrying equipment.
- Repairs and maintains plumbing by replacing washers in leaky faucets, mending burst pipes, and opening clogged drains.
- Maintains plumbing tools and equipment
- Repairs and replaces restroom fixtures, flush valves, faucets, valves, commodes, urinals, and sinks.
- Recommends supplies and equipment for purchase and maintains inventory.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Possession of a Journeyman Plumber’s License.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the state of Virginia.
- Must have a good driving record based upon the criteria of the Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools division.
- Knowledge of the state Plumbing Code.
- Knowledge of theory, application, diagnostics, and trouble shooting associated with fixtures of heating, water, and drainage system.
- Ability to read and understand service manuals and test equipment instructions.
- Basic computer skills
Supervises temporary, part-time employees when assigned
Performs duties under the supervision of the Coordinator for Facilities and the Trades Foreman.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Frequent interruptions, changing priorities. Requires ability to respond to emergency situations during nights and weekends. Requires some unpleasant aspects such as the use of acids in drain openers, exposure to sewer gas from vent stacks, unsanitary conditions. Must be able to work alone and independently. Ability to perform heavy labor and lift up to 100 pounds. Ability to stand, stoop, and bend for long periods of time. Ability to work in various types of environmental conditions. Ability to use hand power tools.