Under the direction of the school building administrator, this position is responsible for supporting and enhancing the safety and security of the students, staff members, and the general school facility while adhering to established policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with school administrators and other school personnel to support positive and safe school climates
- Conducts surveillance of school buildings, grounds and activities.
- Patrols hallways, stairwells, restrooms and parking areas throughout the school day; checks windows, doors and entrances to secure building.
- Provides supervision for students throughout the school day as assigned by school administration and as necessitated by effective safe school practices.
- Maintains a visual of the main entrance; greets, screens and signs-in visitors when requested.
- Deter admittance of unauthorized persons to the premises; take appropriate action to assist/escort unauthorized persons from school premises; monitors vehicles entering school grounds.
- Reports suspicious conditions or disturbances to administration.
- Provides security for after-school, evening, sporting and/or weekend events/activities on an assigned, flexible schedule as assigned by the building administrator.
- At the direction of school administrators, escort disruptive students to locations specified, and helps to minimize physical confrontations.
- Maintains and operates the electronic visitor management system and alarm sign-in system.
- Monitors closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras and emergency radio; report non-working equipment to administration.
- Conducts metal detection and x-ray detection screening, where appropriate and/or as assigned.
- Assists with all safety drills and emergency evacuations.
- Assists with the loading and unloading of buses, student transportation, and parent drop-off and pick-up as assigned.
- Under the direction of the school administrator, assist with any crisis/emergency management responses and/or plans
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED
- Sixteen hours of training with professional training from DCJS (preferred); must complete training within 60 days of initial hire date. This training component includes, but is not limited to, Non-violent Crisis Intervention training.
- Practical knowledge and understanding of child growth and development.
- Awareness of rules and regulations of the Williamsburg- James City County Public Schools, including the Student Code of Conduct.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional working relationship with students, staff, and faculty in a variety of situations.
- Ability to write summary reports of security incidents or breaches of established rules and procedures.
- Possess basic computer proficiency skills (e.g., using email, Microsoft Word, etc.)
- Focused on building positive relationships, communication skills, crisis de-escalation and physical intervention for safety
Performs duties under the supervision of the building principal and assistant principals where appropriate, who may provide guidance and direction through periodic discussions and consultations.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
The job entails above-normal standing, walking, and climbing stairs. Security officers are called upon to intervene to support unruly or disruptive students. The work involves being highly visible in the halls, parking lots, cafeterias, restrooms, grounds, and stairways of the building. May involve the possibility of physical injury from trespassers and/or students with weapons. Work is subject to immediate response to an emergency in any part of the school building. Ability to stand for long periods of time; Ability to work in various types of environmental conditions; Ability to walk/run, stoop/bend; Ability to hear at normal levels; Good eye sight to include peripheral, color perception, focus and depth perception; Good physical condition. Must have the ability to lift/move 40 lbs.