This position is responsible for managing and maintaining all aspects of the security of a high school facility, including scheduling and supervising contract employees provided by a private vendor, monitoring and maintaining electronic surveillance and systems, and patrolling buildings and grounds. An employee in this class is responsible for the safety and welfare of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the school. The work involves being highly visible in the halls, parking lots, cafeterias, restrooms, grounds, and stairways of the building. The work requires excellent rapport with students to encourage proper behavior, with staff to promote building safety, and with local law enforcement officials to assist in promoting attendance, identifying delinquent behaviors, controlling illegal substances, and otherwise maintaining a safe and secure learning environment. Work is performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, and regulations under the supervision of the building principal. An employee in this class selects and applies appropriate methods in different situations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Patrols building and grounds with a view toward analyzing maintaining a close watch on student activities, protecting pupils from outside influences, and preventing trespassers.
- Maintains security in and around bus and parking areas, halls, entrances and other locations, during student arrival and departure.
- Monitors and obtains petitions/warrants on individuals involved in the illegal sale and use of alcohol, narcotics, and other controlled substances on school grounds.
- Monitors assigned areas to prevent the destruction of personal and public property.
- Keeps records and makes report on all incidents detracting from the safety of the school.
- Assigns duty and patrol stations to other school security personnel.
- Coordinates the use of electronic surveillance cameras and video equipment in promoting the overall safety of building and grounds.
- Responds appropriately to potential threats to building, staff, or student safety in order to promote a secure learning environment.
- Responds to break-ins, alarms, or potential security breaches that may occur after normal working hours, often working with police and fire personnel.
- Maintains a close working relationship with the local police, juvenile court, and law enforcement officials in order to assist in the prevention and detection of juvenile crime and delinquent behavior.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Graduation from high school or possession of a GED
- Sixteen hours of training with professional training from a local police department, military, or law enforcement agency in criminal procedures, investigation, security, and safety (preferred)
- Practical knowledge and understanding of child growth and development.
- Knowledge of instructional procedures and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of the attendance policies and overall rules and regulations of the Williamsburg- James City County Public Schools.
- Good knowledge of police, juvenile, and court procedures.
- Ability to establish and maintain a professional working relationship with students, staff, and faculty in a variety of situations.
- Demonstrated skill in investigation, law enforcement, and security techniques.
- Ability to write summary reports of security incidents or breaches of established rules and procedures.
- Focused on building positive relationships, communication skills, crisis de-escalation and physical intervention for safety
Provides minimal supervision of contract security workers provided by a private vendor. Such supervision includes assigning duty and patrol stations and assuring that proper security procedures and practices are being followed.
Performs duties under the supervision of the building principal and assistant principals where appropriate, who may provide guidance and direction through periodic discussions and consultations.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
The job entails above-normal standing, walking, and climbing stairs. Security officers are called upon on occasion to physically restrain unruly or disruptive students. The work may involve the possibility of physical injury from trespassers and/or students with weapons. Work is subject to immediate response to an emergency in any part of the building and may require after-hours response to building emergencies. Ability to stand for long periods of time; Ability to work in various types of environmental conditions; Ability to walk/run, stoop/bend; Ability to hear at normal levels; Good eye sight to include peripheral, color perception, focus and depth perception; Good physical condition. Must have the ability to lift/move 40 lbs.