This position is responsible for complicated and highly diverse work in direct support of administrative personnel in a high school setting. Compiles financial and business transaction data from vouchers, invoices, transmittal sheets, and other source documents for computer input. Supports school athletic, club and activity sponsors by compiling financial and business transactions and posts to journals and ledgers.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains proper general and fund ledgers, including receipts and purchase orders.
- Reviews source documents, such as vouchers, invoices, cash receipts, and purchase orders for completeness and accuracy. Inputs items to reflect debits or credits to appropriate accounts.
- Processes purchase orders as authorized by the Principal. Process invoices received from vendors. Writes letters to vendors on problem accounts.
- Receives from all departments requests for supplies, instructional material, textbooks, etc. From these requests determines what budget codes are necessary and does purchase requisitions for the Principal’s approval. Sees that they are logged and processed properly to Central Office Finance.
- Serves as purchasing contact for the school.
- Receives material and submits documents to Accounts Payable to substantiate payment of vendor invoices.
- Receives funds on a daily basis from various sponsors of school clubs, organizations, activities, and athletic related activities. Prepares and deposits all monies with the depository. Posts items such as expenses and cash receipt amounts to journal and ledger, assigning debits and credits to appropriate accounts.
- Prepares and writes checks for all interschool expenditures dealing with club purchases and athletics. Prepares financial report for School Division’s Central Office. Checks and reviews mathematical computation and accuracy and adjusts as necessary. Balances check statement. Issues statement to each club and athletic account at the school. Secures reimbursement from Central Office for athletic officials’ payments, United Parcel Service payments, and U.S. postage.
- Prepares for annual audit of accounts; secures all necessary documents for procedure. Sets up new accounts as required. Secures change for athletic events, dances, or other fund raisers as needed. Assigns purchase orders for interschool purchases. Returns excess items. Invests excess funds with approved savings institutions, checking rates and purchases Certificates of Deposit. Attempts to collect on non-sufficient funds checks.
- Receives a variety of telephone calls and visitors to the office. Ascertains the purpose of their call or visit and either personally assists them or directs them to the proper authority. Assists in performing a variety of office clerical related duties such as word processing, mailing, reproducing material, filing etc. Assists with summer school registration. Assists with lost book and equipment collection.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Possession of high school diploma or GED certificate preferably supplemented by post-secondary training or college level courses in administrative duties to include English courses, computer courses, and business courses.
- Considerable administrative and accounting experience, preferably in a highly diverse school office environment.
- Demonstrated typing ability. Ability to operate a variety of office equipment such as calculators, typewriters, computers, etc.
- Ability to interpret and follow written instructions and directions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with co-workers, other school division personnel, and general public.
- Ability to perform under pressure
Performs duties under the supervision of the Principal or his/her designee.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Requires dealing with constant deadlines, large sums of money, administrative and secretarial duties, purchasing duties and frequent interruptions. Busy office environment with constant deadlines and frequent interruptions. High volume of work requiring establishment of priorities. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.