This position provides a wide range of highly responsible, confidential, and administrative duties in support of Central Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides administrative support to the senior director and department director/supervisor.
- Maintains confidentiality and promotes a professional office climate; keeps confidential files.
- Receives email messages and conveys responses as appropriate and in a timely manner.
- Receives and screens telephone calls received in department with division administrators, employees, vendors, and members of the public; provides effective communication and interaction with all.
- Prepares and coordinates all agenda items with the Superintendent’s Office.
- Assists in preparing department annual budget, monitors budget performance for the cost center manager, reviews travel authorizations and expenditures, prepares Purchase Requisitions or other forms necessary to pay department invoices, and ensures compliance with procurement procedures.
- Works with the administrative staff to insure that the office runs smoothly; performs general office duties such as ordering supplies, calling in repairs for building and equipment; answer phone, managing mail, keep staff roster current, files, and maintains confidentiality.
- Prepares all monthly leave, requests for workshops, travel reports and reimbursement requests for supplemental payroll.
- Handles a variety of administrative or technical tasks as assigned including reports required by the Commonwealth of Virginia; obtains and analyzes the data.
- Schedules, coordinates, and maintains a variety of department calendars for appointments, meetings, and committees.
- Updates department forms as necessary.
- Orders department office supplies and maintains inventory.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Possession of high school diploma or GED certificate; preferably supplemented by an Associate's degree in business or public administration.
- Senior level clerical experience required, preferably in a school setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and highly motivated individual that exercises initiative.
- Ability to prioritize work and communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Computer skills, including Word, Excel and database systems.
Performs duties under the supervision of the senior director for the assigned department
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time in a busy office environment; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.