This position provides for administration, supervision, and overall leadership of the operation and management of Student Services which oversees the service areas of special education, other related services, and health services. In addition, oversight of student discipline is a major component of this position.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures Specialized Educational Services programs are consistent with State and local policies. Supervises and evaluates performance of staff.
- Prepares the departments’ budget proposal; manages budget allotments in accordance with office priorities; oversees the submission of purchase orders, staff payroll reports, travel reimbursements, work orders and other financial requests; maintains proper financial records.
- Maintains efficient and effective work relations with and among staff members; conducts periodic staff meetings; disseminates needed information; counsels staff members regarding work-related problems and assists in the development of in-service programs.
- Coordinates School Division’s attendance policy and acts as liaison with the courts.
- Serves as the Superintendent’s administrative officer in all matters related to alleged violations of the School Board’s Discipline Policy; coordinates activities of hearing panel.
- Serves as liaison to building principals regarding alternative education; assists principals as needed.
- Develops and manages the Division’s contract services for community service agencies, such as Community Action Agency, College of William and Mary, Department of Corrections, Mental Health Center, etc.
- Oversees the development of specific grant projects, such as Dropout Prevention, Substance Abuse Prevention, Improved School Attendance; prepares grant applications for State and Federal funds; maintains awareness of other external funding sources.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Master’s degree in education or related field; doctoral degree preferred. Experience as a school-level administrator required. Demonstrated leadership ability in organizing and supervising the work of others. Comprehensive knowledge concerning current issues, principles, and practices in public education and the ability to apply them to the needs of the division. Must possess knowledge and effective skills in assessing student services and monitoring the efficiency and effectiveness of Division schools. Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and effectively with teachers, administrators at the school level and the Central Office, parents, and other community representatives.
Supervises the work of the Student Services staff.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Highly diverse and complex duties. Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work on several projects and assignments concurrently. Strong interpersonal skills required in working with diverse groups. Must have initiative and assume responsibility for working productively with minimal supervision while collaborating with the Senior Director for Accountability, Quality & Innovation.
Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time in a busy office environment; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.