This position is the technical specialist responsible for the life-cycle design, administration, and technical support for the WJCC Public School’s network/security infrastructure. Designs and administers highly available network/wireless performance, reliability, and security under the general guidance of the Sr. Director of Technology. The Sr. Network Engineer supervises the Engineering section of the department of Technology to include server and telecom engineers. The incumbent works independently, and as part of a team in a demanding technical environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The incumbent is the responsible for performing mission critical activities, including technical design, configuration, installation, integration, and “live” support of network infrastructure, wireless infrastructure, security software and firewalls.
- Performs senior-level support for multivendor/multiprotocol networking and security platforms.
- Supervises the server, junior network, telecom, and special projects engineers and serves as an escalation point for network, wireless, security and server issues for the division.
- Specific knowledge areas include, but are not limited to the following: senior level understanding of Cisco/Brocade technologies; Advanced understanding of wireless technologies; Advanced understanding of dynamic/static routing; Advanced understanding Layer 2 technologies; Advanced understanding of Firewalls, Web Filter, IPS, VPN; Designing, deployment, and network integration; Experience with Load Balancers, Cisco UCS, VMWare, Active Directory; Analyzes network topologies and traffic and capacity requirements; Advanced troubleshooting and administration skills; Documenting network/wireless/security hierarchy.
- Provides change-management data to senior staff including IOS upgrades, configurations, firewall changes and wireless changes.
- Designs and advises on changes and additions to the network and helps to incorporate new technologies and standards.
- Utilizes diagnostic tools and procedures to support fault detection, correlation, performance metrics, and reporting to support service level agreements and standards set by management.
- Conducts hands-on and onsite technical training to selected technology staff, including router/ switch/wireless/firewall operations, error message analysis, and other functions at operations level.
- Collaborates with vendors on new and existing products and manages the division eRate Reimbursement process.
- Coordinates the division smartphone/cellular contract, requiring a working knowledge of supporting Apple Products.
- Works Closely with Instructional Technology Department to support School Division needs.
- Maintains property assets by tagging and recording model/serial numbers of network and major components to meet property inventory requirement.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience. Advanced knowledge of network terminology and an advanced understanding of Layer 2 and Layer 3 technologies. CCNP preferred or CCNA with equivalent years of experience. Security+ preferred. Vendor Wireless certification
- Five years’ experience providing advanced level network support.
- Must be efficient at using Microsoft office products such as Visio and excel.
- Ability to apply extended troubleshooting guidelines to properly diagnose and repair switches/routers/firewalls and related equipment problems.
- Ability to install, configure, and apply various computer software applications and operating systems.
- Ability to properly connect/configure/manipulate related network parts, equipment, and peripherals.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of professional relationships with other employees in various roles at all times. Must be able to apply exceptional professional customer service in what can be highly stressful situations while maintaining a professional composure.
- Most possess a valid VA driver’s license.
Supervises the Engineering team consisting of server, Jr. network, and special projects engineers.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Senior Director for Technology.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Performs highly diverse/intense technical duties requiring strong communication and inter-personal skills. Must be able to lift loads up to 50lbs, and will be required to drive to various division locations on special occasions. Requires on-call services 24x7; some weekend and holiday work may be required. Ability to use various hand tools (screwdriver, pliers, etc.) to disassemble and re-assemble computers and network equipment. Extensive hand-eye coordination is required to make use of hand tools, install various computer and electronic parts, ability to safely work in and around electronic equipment. Must be able to apply exceptional professional customer service in what can be highly stressful situations while maintaining a professional composure. Must be able to safely climb and work from a step ladder (up to 8 feet) and reach over-head. Must be able to squat and work below desks/tables. Must be able to complete repetitive motions, use a keyboard and/or mouse, and perform repetitive tasks. Must be comfortable in performing mundane tasks as well as being able to quickly switch from one task to another as situations warrant. Must be comfortable working alone, as well as in front of groups of people. Frequently exposed to electrical shock hazards while working on computers and related equipment.