This position supports and sustains the mission of the SHIP (School Health Initiative Program) program by inviting and coordinating student, family and community resources to build a culture of wellness throughout WJCC Public Schools and the larger Williamsburg-James City County community.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates all aspects of Challenge Clubs for WJCC students, including recruiting and contracting of instructors and sponsors, transportation services, communication with families regarding the clubs, and School Principals and School Wellness Councils.
- Develops, in conjunction with program evaluation consultants, all surveys and metrics for Challenge Club experiences for students, parents, and instructors for program review and enhancement.
- Collaborates with WJCC Coordinator for Family and Community Engagement where necessary to establish and extend SHIP programming and partnership for maximum reach and impact.
- Supports each school site in an effort to establish and offer staff wellness programs to build a culture of wellness among WJCC faculty and staff.
- Identifies and coordinates all internal and community resources that support the vision and mission of the SHIP program.
- Partners with the School Wellness Councils and School Principals at every school site to plan programming to parents and students that advances a culture of health and wellness and integrates with extra-curricular programming, such as family fun nights, instructional showcases, and PTA/PTSA meetings.
- Identifies and coordinates volunteers to support SHIP programming.
- Publishes and coordinates with the Director of Public Relations and Community Engagement and the Communications and Digital Design Specialist to produce and distribute SHIP newsletters, family information, community events and social marketing to promote support for SHIP through healthy messages.
- Initiates and coordinates special programs for SHIP, including student contests, community events and fitness activities, and workshops.
- Monitors and oversees the SharePoint program for SHIP, which is part of the larger School Division Intranet system, for internal communication and coordination of program components and services.
- Oversees the purchase and allocation process of all materials for SHIP staff.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Familiarity with all aspects of wellness programs. Program experience preferred.
- Familiarity with understanding, writing, and complying with grant programs.
- Technology proficiency in publishing programs, database, and SharePoint desired.
- Strong personal speaking and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with purchasing and/or contracting services preferred.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Supervisor for School Health Initiative Program.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Highly diverse responsibilities, frequent interruptions, and deadlines. Bending, stooping, and handling equipment weighing up to 40 pounds is occasionally required. Work hours beyond the normal work day may be occasionally necessary to conduct programs. Contacts with senior school division decision makers, department heads, principals and community leaders.