Specialty Driver is responsible for operating a school division vehicle (not a school bus) and transporting school-aged children and other authorized personnel safely and efficiently over specified routes to and from school as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Transports minimal number of students to and from local and out of zone schools.
- Maintains discipline and enforces rules and regulations pertaining to student behavior. Reports discipline problems and unruly students to School Principals and the Coordinator of Transportation.
- Regulates heating, air conditioning, lighting and ventilating systems for passenger comfort. Complies with local traffic regulations, maintain appropriate speed and watching vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
- Reports route changes, unusual road conditions, delays, accidents, etc. to the Coordinator of Transportation and/or his/her designee. Prepares and submits mileage reports, student count reports, student information forms and various other forms and reports as required by the Office of Transportation.
- Attends required first aid and CPR courses, driver’s courses, orientation sessions and various other meetings.
- Provides transportation for shuttle runs as required.
- Assists physically handicapped students as required.
- Presents a neat, clean, and courteous appearance to parents, students, school personnel and the general public.
- Performs general vehicular inspection prior to use to include but not limited to checking fluid levels, engine belts, tire conditions and pressures, etc. Reports any malfunctions/damage to the parts counter or to any shop personnel.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- High school diploma or GED required
- Possession of a valid Virginia Driver’s License issued by the State of Virginia. Must have a good driving record based upon the criteria of the Williamsburg-James City County School Division.
- Related experience in school transportation preferred. Prior experience with children and/or children with special needs preferred. Must be at least 21 years of age. Candidate must submit a 5 year driving history and have a point balance of > -4.
- Ability to speak clearly to communicate. Ability to operate school division (non-school bus) vehicles in all types of road and weather conditions. Ability to operate two-way communication radio. Must check office mailbox and e-mail a minimum of one time per week.
- Excellent communication skills necessary to positively interact with the students, parents, and staff members. Must be able to handle frequent interruptions and deadlines to include changes in schedules due to special students activities to include early dismissal, etc. Ability to establish and maintain a harmonious working relationship with young pupils, pupils with disabilities and their families.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time. Ability to reach, bend, and stoop. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted.
- Able to follow instructions and complete tasks efficiently. Must be able to read instructions. Ability to use good judgment and be dependable.
- Ability to communicate with students, staff, and community members.
- Exposure to gasoline, diesel, and oil fumes, other cleaning supplies.
- Successful completion of the driver-training course taught by Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools. Successful completion of a Red Cross First Aid and CPR course. Obtain a current physician's certificate of health through the school division’s contracted provider (only) prior to being eligible for employment and annually thereafter.
Monitors the behavior of students with particular attention given to safety.
Performs duties under the general supervision of the Director of Transportation who provides an annual performance evaluation. Instructions and assignments are provided through the Coordinator of Transportation, the Assistant Coordinator of Transportation and the Coordinator of Safety, Training and Recruitment, consults State and Local codes and regulations and the Division’s Policy Manual.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must be alert at all times and able to respond to emergencies. Able to operate a vehicle in inclement weather to include rain, snow, and icy roads. Must be able to lift and carry a child up to 50 pounds. Requires early morning hours and some late evening hours.
There is “No Smoking” policy per the Department of Education and Williamsburg James City County School Board policies. There is also a “No Cell Phone” policy while operating a school division owned vehicle and/or while caring for or supervising students.