This position provides leadership in the areas of communications and community relations by planning, implementing and directing an effective and innovative information, communication and public relations strategy in accordance with the strategic plan. This position is responsible for developing and maintaining innovative programs to foster community relations while overseeing the dissemination of information about the division to both internal and external audiences. Acts as the spokesperson for the Division as well as an executive advisor to the superintendent in matters of communication, public relations, and engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as Division spokesperson and primary contact for the news media and manages media relations including promoting school district accomplishments
- Supervises the development of issues management strategy and serves as primary contact during crisis events.
- Supervises the development and implementation of a comprehensive community engagement program designed to offer two-way communications opportunities to families as well as community members who might not have children in the school division
- Supervises and executes an effective education partners program
- Supervises and executes a system-wide volunteers in education program
- Supervises the development and execution of the department budget
- Supervises the development and implementation of comprehensive communications, public relations, and marketing plans to promote system initiatives and accomplishments
- Oversees a variety of effective tools utilizing current technology to communicate with the district’s internal and external stakeholders, including the district’s website, social media and cable-access television channel.
- Supervises the production and delivery of content for the division website and Channel 47.
- Provides strategic communications, public relations and engagement counsel to the School Board and superintendent and assists in preparation of comments, scripts, and other materials for public events as requested.
- Provides communications guidance (public relations, publications design, media relations, presentation materials) to schools and departments and reviews and edits publications
- Oversees the coordination of multi-media utilized during School Board and Division meetings.
- Plans and coordinates a systematic means of building relationships with key opinion and elected leaders.
- Develops and manages the effective execution of the district’s “brand” through all stakeholder, community, industry and employee venues.
- Tracks results and conducts analysis of all communications data/protocols to determine and recommend the most effective channels for marketing programs and initiatives
- Coordinates official meetings and related public functions of the Board, including the orchestration of monthly School Board recognitions
- Attends meetings of community agencies and organizations as appropriate.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
Master’s degree in mass communications, English, journalism, or related field preferred. Experience in public education or the public sector preferred. Extensive experience in public relations and communications and training in crisis/ emergency communication. Demonstrated leadership ability in organizing and supervising the work of others. Comprehensive knowledge of strategic communications, public relations, marketing, branding, and community and family engagement. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships and work cooperatively with a variety of employees and constituents. A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications
Supervises the work of the Coordinators of Communications, Multicultural Awareness and Family & Community Engagement, and Communications & Digital Design, and a Communication Specialist.
Performs duties under the supervision of the superintendent.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Highly diverse and complex duties. Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work on several projects and assignments concurrently. Strong interpersonal skills required in working with diverse groups. Must have initiative and assume responsibility for working productively with minimal supervision.
Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time in a busy office environment; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.