This position coordinates and monitors work of HVAC, electrical, and plumbing personnel engaged in preventative maintenance, repair and/or installation of equipment in various school division buildings.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and monitors the preventative maintenance, installation, and repair of equipment to ensure conformance to national and local building codes. Procures appropriate permits, equipment, and materials for performing HVAC, electrical, and plumbing work.
- Coordinates the work of HVAC mechanics. Reviews the quality of work and gives technical advise and assistance when needed.
- Assists the Coordinator for Facilities in securing appropriate permits, equipment, and materials for performing work. Repairs, maintains, and installs HVAC systems and equipment. Locates and determines HVAC problems, using appropriate equipment. Repairs problems and/or assigns repair work to others.
- Knowledgeable about analytical equipment designed to assist with identification of problems in mechanical systems including air quality issues at school and office sites.
- Periodically monitors work orders of the HVAC technicians to determine level of effectiveness and efficiency of service to schools and offices.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED certificate.
- Extensive experience as a journeyman HVAC mechanic.
- Possession of a Master HVAC license.
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State of Virginia.
- Must have a good driving record based upon the criteria of the Williamsburg-James City County Public Schools.
- Knowledge of national and local HVAC codes.
- Knowledge of theory, application, diagnostics, and trouble-shooting associated with HVAC systems.
- General knowledge of electrical and plumbing systems.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise the work of other personnel.
- Fundamental/basic knowledge of computerized energy management programs.
- Ability to read and understand service manuals and test equipment instructions.
- Ability to use various air quality management analysis equipment.
- Must have ability to coordinate and monitor work order load of HVAC technicians.
- Basic computer skills
Supervises the work of HVAC mechanics and other personnel as assigned.
Performs duties under the supervision of Coordinator for Facilities
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Frequent interruptions, changing priorities. Requires ability to respond to emergency situations during nights and weekends. Requires ability to ascend tall structures and work on the top of roofs of buildings. Ability to perform duties outside in extremely hot and extremely cold weather conditions. Must be able to work alone and independently. Ability to work in cramped quarters. Ability to work effectively with building principals and other school staff on various problems in their buildings.
Ability to perform manual labor and lift up to 100 pounds.