This position coordinates transition planning, provides services to students, and provides employment service options to students under the supervision of the Director of Special Education.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Director for Special Education to develop, implement, and monitor a district-wide plan to provide appropriate and effective transition services.
- Coordinate Transition services, scheduling, selection & transportation for division wide programs.
- Provide professional development, technical assistance, and consultation to teachers, families, and students on transition plan requirements and development.
- Attend and participate in IEP Meetings to assist in the development of transition services, as needed.
- Coordinate division-wide community-based instruction program.
- Conduct regular classroom and community work-site visits to observe post-secondary classrooms and provide teachers and staff with feedback regarding best practices.
- Work collaboratively with agency representatives to provide information sessions for students and parents, conduct eligibility and application activities, and work to transition students from public school services and supports to adult services and supports.
- Oversee and provide direct support to WJCC’s post-secondary programs (LHS, JHS, and Project Search).
- Facilitate the collection and analysis of transition compliance indicators 13 and 14 to identify relevant variables to improve transition services and post-school outcomes.
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to insure and increase effective transition services, supports and outcomes by promoting active involvement of families, interagency collaborators, and employment-based partnerships within the community.
- Coordinate, monitor and develop work-based learning opportunities within the school and community.
- Initiate referrals for services with Agencies as appropriate (e.g. Department of Rehabilitative Services, Community Services Board, Centers for Independent Living, Student Support Services, etc.)
- Coordinate WJCC Transition Program information sessions, referrals and selection for the Project Search, Postsecondary Education Rehabilitation Transition (PERT), and the VDOE I’m Determined and MOVE Programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Special Education.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must have teaching experience and hold a license in Special Education.
- Demonstrated familiarity in employment placements and training opportunities for students with disabilities.
- Experience with data collection, reporting and distribution.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with colleagues, families, students, and community-based work site liaisons.
This position does not have any supervisory duties.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Director of Special Education.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Must have high tolerance for change and the ability to work on several projects and assignments concurrently. Strong interpersonal skills required in working with diverse groups. Must have initiative and assume responsibility for working productively with minimal supervision. Must have the ability to sit for extended periods of time in a busy office environment; exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer terminal; to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids; hear and understand speech at normal levels and on the telephone; speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in person and on the telephone; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds.