This position is responsible for administration, instructional leadership, and supervision of the operation and management of the secondary WJCC Virtual Academy and the elementary Virtual Virginia program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the instructional and social emotional needs of WJCC students choosing fulltime virtual learning through the division Virtual Academy (VA) and the Virtual Virginia elementary program (VVEP).
- Collaborates with the department of instructional technology to continue to support and facilitate opportunities for staff to expand skillsets and provide quality instruction in a virtual environment.
- Oversees the application process, timeline, communication, and admission of students for the VA and VVEP.
- Collaborates with building administrators and school counselors to meet student needs and implement appropriate support and direction for an on-time graduation.
- Identifies and communicates other online or virtual options for students to access courses to supplement classes within the WJCC VA. This may be through Virtual Virginia, the WJCC Virtual Learning Program or other online platforms.
- Maintains current knowledge on best practices and trends for online learning.
- Oversees connections and communication with all families and schools, K-12, in the fulltime Virtual Academy, to include the local secondary program, and the elementary Virtual Virginia.
- Monitors the effectiveness and success of the WJCC Virtual Academy and the VVEP as compared to the “brick and mortar schools” in our division.
- Monitors the Virtual Academy website and ensures information is current and accessible.
- Serves as the collaborative contact person for all support services in the VVEP, to include serving the needs of students in Special Education, the Gifted Program, our English Language Learners, and students with 504 plans.
- Monitors enrollment and re-enrollment processes, student progress, pacing and completion rates, ensuring that academic and or behavioral targets are met.
- Organizes program and plans for implementation of state and local curriculum guides; manages instructional program; advises teachers on instructional methods, materials, and techniques; and directs school staff development program for teachers in coordination with building principals.
- Contributes to division curriculum evaluations, revisions, and related projects; participates in division administrator’s meetings; provides feedback to student teachers that may serve the Virtual Academy in addition to a home school.
- Establishes program rules, regulations, and procedures consistent with school rule and practices; adheres to division regulations and policies; and interprets and enforces division and building rules, regulations and procedures.
- Prepares, distributes, and updates VA and VVEP expectations in school handbooks.
- Identifies and communicates unique budget requirements.
- Interviews and participates in the process for employment of school personnel in the virtual academy; collaborates with building principals on evaluations as necessary; and oversees majority of evaluations for fulltime WJCC VA staff members;
- Orients new employees to the Virtual Academy; assigns and schedules staff; recommends appointments to leadership responsibilities as appropriate; maintains necessary personnel records; establishes and communicates substitute plans and procedures for virtual staff absences.
- Leads/assists teachers in maintenance of appropriate classroom management; counsels students; confers with parents; administers discipline as appropriate; and reports disciplinary action as required.
- Coordinates with home schools on maintenance of student enrollment and attendance records; assigns and schedules students; maintains VA and VVEP student record-keeping system as needed; monitors reporting of student progress; assures appropriate instruction is prescribed for students with a diagnosed learning disability; establishes methods of evaluating the progress of individual students and the effectiveness of instructional programs in each virtual classroom and in the school as a whole.
- Coordinates the preparation and implementation of an annual VA and VVEP plan with the community and school staff, consistent with the division-wide plan and approved by the Superintendent.
- Manages implementation of departmentalized instructional program; approves master schedule.
- Communicates information regarding co-curricular activities at home schools; and connects students to the appropriate person for his/her home school. This includes activities, field trips, athletics and events.
- Prepares miscellaneous requests, time sheets/absentee reports, memorandums, correspondence, proposals, various federal/state/local reports and surveys; and maintains appropriate filing system.
- Models the WJCC Strategic Plan Values: Individualism, Integrity, Innovation, Accountability and Collaboration.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required)
- Must possess a Master’s degree; must possess Virginia Postgraduate Professional Certificate in Administration and Supervision.
- Knowledge of human growth and development; human relations skills; ability to work effectively with students, parents, staff, and fellow administrators; working knowledge of curriculum and instruction; financial management and planning skills.
- Extensive knowledge of best practices in virtual teaching and learning.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws, rules and policies governing all facets of the virtual school program, as well as instructional strategies, online instructional design theories, learning style theories, and educational leadership strategies.
- Minimum of five years teaching experience, preferably in a public-school setting.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices for student engagement and achievement and knowledge of technical issues affecting the learning management systems.
- Demonstrated experience in supervision, training, and development of teachers.
Supervises work of the Virtual Academy Staff. Teacher evaluation may be in collaboration with home school principals in shared positions.
Performs duties under the supervision of the Assistant Superintendent, Secondary School Leadership.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
Frequent interruptions, frequent competing deadlines; supervise and address large audiences; supervision of outside activities. Subject to multiple competing priorities and making expedient decisions in times of crisis.