The mission of the school counseling program at James River Elementary is to advocate for the culturally and socio-economically diverse needs of all our students within a safe and nurturing environment. Comprehensive and developmentally appropriate school counseling services are provided that proactively foster the well-being of the whole child. The school counseling program promotes the equity, access, and success of every student through the delivery of a multi-tiered system of support instilling attitude, knowledge, and skills necessary to overcome barriers to learning and achieve success within an international society. In partnership with staff, families, and community members, the program engages all students in acquiring social, emotional, academic, and career competencies which enhance learning and create a culture of responsible, compassionate, and career ready students well-prepared to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
The James River Elementary school counseling program envisions all of our students as responsible, resilient, and respectful citizens prepared for success in their post-secondary and lifelong pursuits. James River students demonstrate life skills to navigate the complexities of the 21st century and manage their lives as healthy, knowledgeable, and compassionate members of an intercultural society. They embrace their own self-worth, and are motivated to contribute to their community in order to create a more peaceful world.
- Every student is valuable and has the ability to learn and achieve.
- Every student has the right to a safe and nurturing learning environment supported by a culturally compassionate school community.
- All students need developmentally appropriate social-emotional skills to achieve optimum benefits from the academic program.
- All students’ ethnic, racial, cultural, and socioeconomic differences and special needs are considered in the planning and implementation of the school counseling program.
- All students have equitable access to school counseling services provided by a highly qualified licensed school counselor.
- The school counselor advocates for the well-being and success of all students.
- The school counselor supports students’ development of social, emotional, academic, and career readiness skills.
- The school counselor helps build a positive school environment by encouraging and facilitating collaboration among parents, educators, and community members to further student achievement.
- The school counselor provides need-based, best-practice services that are evaluated and refined for effectiveness using student performance data.
- The school counseling program is planned, managed, delivered, and evaluated by the school counselor with support from an advisory council representing all stakeholders.
- The school counselor must abide by the ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors.