Use the online catalog to find what is in the LHS library. There is also a large collection of Opposing Viewpointsbooks. Click on Resource Lists on left. Click on Public Lists on top right. Select Opposing Viewpoints.
To access these databases from home, get the passwords from the media specialists.
Start with WBO to get an overview of the subject. You’ll find general information, Back in Time, Special Reports, Behind the Headlines, Tables, Sounds, Historical Maps, Pictures, original films, and more.
- Enter your search term for newspaper and magazine articles, primary source documents, etc.
- Limit (on left of results page): Select full text, publication dates, and source types.
- Advanced Search: more search options.
- Topic Overview: provides an overview of the topic.
- View: original (pdf full text) form, or html full text (may be easier to read).
- Cite (on the right): Select your citation format and copy citation.
- For additional articles, return to the search results or use the Find Similar Results button.
Student Edition-Gale Database
Student Edition is a good way to find current newspaper and magazine articles. Selecting the Subject Guide and entering a topic (e.g., Cloning), allows you to browse related topics. This is helpful to narrow/broaden your topic.
The mission of ProCon.org is “promoting informed citizenship by presenting controversial issues in a simple, nonpartisan pro-con format.” There are limited topics available here, but they are covered in depth.